Sign in with
Your question

Reset bios on 4850x2???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2009 3:37:29 PM

How can I reset the bios on a Sapphire 4850x2 to the original default settings?

I'm unable to get video after a driver install and reboot. It was working last night...messed around a bit with settings, and now I get now DVI signal when windows boots. It works in safe mode and before I install drivers (after a fresh windows vista install), but after I install the drivers I get zip.

Thanks...help me! =)

More about : reset bios 4850x2

a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2009 3:57:49 PM

Bios? or drivers? The drivers cannot alter the bios.

Did you edit the bios and flash a new one to the card? If that is the case you will ahve to get the old bios somewhere (you backed it up I hope) and flash the card on another machine cabable of havign this card in it with whatever video it uses.

If you mean drivers.. well just run driver sweaper and make sure to use the latest drivers from Sapphire, as they are the onyl ones who "support" the 4850x2, when you reinstall them.. often the ati ones may run into issue here or there.
March 24, 2009 4:17:30 PM

Well, I tried to use the auto-tune feature after I had the drives installed successfully the first time...bad idea I guess. I canceled it and restarted. After that, no DVI signal...which is why I wonder if that hit the bios on the card because even after a windows reinstall and driver reload, still no video after that. Works fine at low res w/o drivers so I'm hoping that means the card is still fine.

-EIL
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2009 4:24:58 PM

Well, I assure you that auto-tune cannot change the bios.. That being said.. auto tune can surely fry your card in some cases. I hope that isnt the case, but it is a possibility. Auto-tune tends not to work well outside of reference cards (even then its kind of sketchy).

Although, auto tune can write to the registry and make your card overclock even though you find it unstable and dont want it there.. hense why you want to driver sweap.. Of course that is totaly moot being that you reisntalled windows (assuming it was from scratch and not a "repair" install). If it was a repair install you my want to run driver sweaper anyway to be sure.

Generally if a chip dies it dies.. but you may have killed it just enough such that only the 3d clocks are causing failure (or now have killed most of the frame buffer which will only be an issue in applications that use it).. in any regard, you probalby want to open a ticket with sapphire and hope they cover failure due to auto tune if that is the case.
March 24, 2009 5:21:08 PM

go in to safe mode and remove the drivers then install the old ones
March 24, 2009 5:22:53 PM

or put ur overclock back to defaults in safe mode
March 24, 2009 5:33:27 PM

I was having trouble trying to remove the drivers in vista safe mode...I'm seeing why vista can be a PITA.

Any hints?
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2009 5:47:12 PM

Driver sweaper runs in safe mode. Google and download it (I'd link but I'm at work and am forbidden to access the site...)

Without driver sweaper: Generally speaking you would be fine uninstalling CCC through programs and features, do a remove of all ati software, then run something like Ccleaner to clean up the leftover bits in the registry. When that is done (after a reboot or not) uninstall the device in device manager remembering to click the check box to remove all software,then delete the ati extraction folder by hand.

Failing all that.. you can always reinstall windows from a clean drive :) 
March 24, 2009 6:46:55 PM

Well hell...I've reset the board settings w/ the jumper, put the card in the other PCIe slot, remirrored the drives (format), reinstalled windwos, installed the drivers from the CD provided by Sapphire (just like I did last night when this worked the first time), and same problem. It boots then looses signal. =( I have no idea what else it could be other than a fried card at this point.

Any more options?

I've already called to start the RMA process. =(

-EIL
March 24, 2009 6:55:40 PM

GO into your motherboards BIOS and make sure you have your priority set to PCI-E.

Also boot into safe-mode and make sure that your resolution in the Catalys COntrol Center is set at the Correct mode supported by your monitor, especially check the refresh rate. Click apply and ok and then reboot.

BTW, Install the latest drivers from the AMD/ATI website. They officially support the HD4850X2 Dual GPU cards since the Cat 9.1 drivers, so you would get from them a more stable set of drivers.

Also make sure you do not have any thrid party applications installed for overclocking like Riva Tunner.
March 25, 2009 2:06:29 PM

I have a very strange update to this problem. =)

I finally got this to work following the same steps as my initial install, the most important of which apparently, is not removing the Sapphire driver CD from the DVD drive after install and reboot.

So long as that disc is in the DVD drive on reboot, it loads correctly and gives full video resolution in windows w/ DVI signal etc. If I reboot w/o that disc in the drive...no DVI after the initial windows loading bar.

I'm running Vista 64, using Sapphire 4850x2 1Gb.

WTF is up with that?!?!?

P.S. How exactly to I set "priority to PCI-E" on the bios? Any hit as to where to look for that on an ASUS P6T board?
March 26, 2009 2:55:02 PM

Well in case anyone's following the thread and gives a hoot...I'll finish the tale.

For some unknown and undetermined reason, the install of the drivers from the CDROM included with the Sapphire 4850x2 card on my Vista 64 system, left some crumbs still attached to the CDROM. Even when I tried to uninstall w/o the CD in the drive, I got an error saying just that..."can't find xyz driver/component, please insert blah blah into a drive and try again". Totally screwed.

So, I put the CD back in the drive, did a full uninstall of ALL ATI products, downloaded CCC 9.3, installed all and worked like a charm.

The end.
March 26, 2009 3:04:26 PM

Yeah, Vista trys to install its default WHQL drivers, which are not supporting hd48xx x2 cards, so one thing I forgot to tell you is to download the CAT 9.3 dirvers from the website and when you first boot click cancel on automated instalation of drivers and just manually install the new set of driver.

I am glad you resolved the problem though.

Go and have some fun now with your monster card :) 

Cheers
!