skyrider08

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
the power light does not light. the led is good when tested. have reversed the connection and still don't work. if you take the ground pin out and touch ground it works. with a meter you get 4.95v from + to case - but nothing on the board pin. can you help me. it is an asus M2R32-MVP motherboard and still under warrenty but asus tells me not for that. they will not exchange it.

skyrider08

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009

this has 2 pinsthat are spaced if I take a multimeter and go from+ to - I get no reading the hhd light works can I hook it up to that ground? if I go to case ground it stays on when you turn off the computer

if I go to case ground it stays on when you turn off the computer
I have never tried that, but this implies that the power LED is fed by the +5V standby. I presume that you want your HD LED to work as well. There are 2 ground pins between the speaker wires.

Are you absolutely sure that you're using the correct pins to hookup the LED (PLED+ and PLED-)? Is your connector 3-pin with the middle one empty? Are you using the Q-Connector or are the cables connected directly to the motherboard?

skyrider08

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009

it is a 3-pin connector with middle empty and it is a Q-connector when I called Asus the tech told me the only ground was the power supply and nothing was grounded to the case and if thats's the case then why are there brass stand offs he said the led did not need a ground ???? I have been a Ham for a long time and they have me confused I think the ground pin is not connected or a cold connection I don't no why they said it would not be under warrenty the hd led works should I tear it down and check the print on the back??

If your Power LED on the case works but the pins on the motherboard for the Power LED won't produce any voltage it's a defective motherboard.

It sounds like your troubleshooting is finished and you simply have to live without a power light.

I don't know what else anyone can say.

skyrider08

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009

I guess I have to take it apart an check the trace to see if I can locate the problem What makes me mad is the dumb techs and them saying it not under warrenty I am so mad I was hoping to find someone who had the same thing at one time to make it easy Thanks for your time

The PLED- is not really a ground, but it acts that way through the logic and the PSU. What case and PSU do you have?

skyrider08

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009

it is an Antec case and power supply

skyrider08

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009

I called Asus and was told that the board was not under warrenty becuse it was made 3 years ago and they go by the date it was made not when purchased it. I have done more checks on the computer and when I put it in standby the light comes on and blinks when I go out of standby it stays on go to restart and it stays lit shut down and when reboot it does not come on. Any ideas

Flip the connector to see if the LED still works. If not, then there isn't much else that you can do, other than connecting it between 5V and ground. But then it won't blink when on standby. A better solution would be to wire it through diodes: one to the PLED+ and one to +5V. That way it should work as expected.