Gigabyte ga-ma790x-ud4p board not detecting phenom 955 under windows 7

foxyg

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Hi,
I just build my system. I am using Gigabyte GA-MA-790x-UD4P board. and a phenom 955 cpu and windows 7 RC1.

If I go into bios, I can see the CPU is detected as 3.2 Ghz, but once windows loaded up, I go to control panel the cpu shows 1.60 Ghz. Is the CPU really running at half speed? How do I fix this?

Thanks

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Look like you're running off 2 cores and not 4. Are you running a current bios? I checked your CPU and it is compatible with that board.

foxyg

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I had to update bio to the newest one, also the bio won't flash itself, the exe file provided by gigabyte doesn't work with 64bit system. I had to use @bios to flash directly, now it is working properly.

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Generally it is not a good idea flashing the bios from within the Windows environment. These are recommended DOS flashing methods in this order, USB stick, floppy, or CD (beta). Check and double check that you are downloading the right bios ROM from the website. Open your user manual and see: Updating the BIOS with the Q-Flash Utility

Before flashing the bios restore "setup defaults"
After flashing the bios and it has rebooted, go back into the bios and do this:
Shutdown by PSU power switch. Unplug the PSU and remove CMOS battery and discharge the motherboard by holding in the power button (not PSU switch) while touching the metal part of the case for approx 30 sec. Put the battery back in and post. Don't forget to re-apply your bios settings.

One last thing, not all USB sticks are bootable. You will know because your ROM will note be detected by your bios update utility. If this is the case, do this:
Make USB stick bootable (only if hidden MSDOS files are not present on USB stick) with the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool, you will also need MS_DOS System Files, you can download both here:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag3fg6f/n/HP_USB_Disk_Storage_Format_Tool_v2_18_zip

Format to FAT or FAT32

pat

Expert
Loks like cool and quiet is working on your computer... it slow down the CPU when not in heavy use to save power and put out less heat. Everything is normal there..

pat

Expert
it should, but Vista power management is sometime weird.. doesn't always give full power.

Better way to check is by manually adjusting the power option to performance and then running orthos, if it don't work at normal.

snakej

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
the lates Bios for the UD4p is f5, but i dont think that has nothing to do, lol...go disable cool and quiet in the advance options..