Sign in with
Your question

1TB HDD - Partition help (urgent)

Last response: in Storage
September 13, 2010 5:01:55 PM

Hello ppl,

I am getting my 1TB HD tomm., i need a quick accurate help:

I want to make two partition via windows 7 dvd during install.

So what/how many MB shall i have to allocate to make:

50GB - ?
900GB - ?

if i want to create any partition of XYZ GB, how much additional MB's i have to allocate additional? What is the formula....

Any Links explaining this would be great as well.
September 13, 2010 5:40:56 PM

Not quite sure what your question is.... you can allocate any amount to a partition. You can create a 500GB partition and then allocate the rest to the 2nd partition.

You can also create 3 partitions if you like... 80GB, 420GB and the rest to the 3rd partition. This is only an example. Just showing you that you have many options.

All depends on what you want to to...
m
l
September 13, 2010 6:01:32 PM

My questionis how many MB i have to allocate to have 50GB:

50000 MB OR 51200 MB

How to calculate the above MB's ?
m
l
Related resources
September 13, 2010 6:01:40 PM

Typically if you are unsure, you should allocate all instead of making two partitions. Otherwise I have found that about 120GB works well for a system partition and the rest for data.
m
l
September 13, 2010 6:53:47 PM

What difference does it make? just cause you put in 50000MB and you only get like 47438MB out of it.. who cares? but I agree with doing at least 120GB for a system drive. I have that now and recently had to do a massive cleanup cause I could not fit anymore games on the drive. :-) Just do 120000MB for the system drive and let whatever is left over be the data drive.
m
l
September 13, 2010 7:28:58 PM

Well,

I still would like to know for my knowledge how to allocate MB's to have exact amount of GB per partition.

I am sure someone wud be knowing the maths here...

m
l
a c 104 G Storage
September 13, 2010 7:35:10 PM

Hi there,

Connect your 1000 GB HDD to SATA_1 or SATA_2 and make sure it is "enabled" in the BIOS. Don't have any other HDD connected to your MB at this time.

Then without doing anything else to the Hard Drive, set your DVD as the first bootable device, and start your Win-7 Installation.

After a welcome and language, time, keyboard screen, Win-7 will place a 100MB "hidden patrition" at the front of the drive for boot info and the boot configuration database, and bitlocker space if ever later desired.

It will show you all the unallocated space on the drive, and there is a dial you can set the exact amount of space you want for the Win-7 program. It takes about 30GB so why not choose 50-100GB for the OS. When you click next it will show you exactly how much space was allocated. If you want, you can just delete that partition and put in slightly less, or more to get "exactly" what you want. It really isn't important to have exactly a certain size, but if you want, you can set it exactly.

When the disk size is "perfect", then go ahead and completely install Win-7. Then go back to the BIOS and set the new C;\ Drive partition as the first bootable drive.

When running, go to Disk Management, where you can adjust your initial partition if you want, and add a second partition to take up the rest of the drive, or just a portion, leaving unnallocated space at the end.

m
l
September 13, 2010 7:47:10 PM

The equation for GB to MB is 1GB = 1024MB. So if you want 120GB you need to enter 122880MB. It isn't too complex but when setting your second partition remember to just allow it to auto fill otherwise you won't be using all of your HD space.
m
l
September 15, 2010 6:57:17 AM

deweycd said:
The equation for GB to MB is 1GB = 1024MB. So if you want 120GB you need to enter 122880MB. It isn't too complex but when setting your second partition remember to just allow it to auto fill otherwise you won't be using all of your HD space.

Thx a lot for maths equation!
m
l
September 15, 2010 6:58:32 AM

See Below Plz (Edited)
m
l
September 15, 2010 9:14:53 AM

Okay guyz,

I partitioned my 1TB HD,into three partitions (it's all blank),
Out of all, only 1 partition mentioning wrong capacity.

When i run disk management, i get the info:
Capacity: 810.11 GB, free space: 810GB,

BUT, in My computer in disks when i right click -> Properties -> i get 809GB free and total capcity as 810GB – Why?
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
September 15, 2010 3:05:45 PM

craige4u said:
Okay guyz,

I partitioned my 1TB HD,into three partitions (it's all blank),
Out of all, only 1 partition mentioning wrong capacity.

When i run disk management, i get the info:
Capacity: 810.11 GB, free space: 810GB,

BUT, in My computer in disks when i right click -> Properties -> i get 809GB free and total capcity as 810GB – Why?

Hi Craig,

Try to be more specific about what you have done, what you observe, and what the problem is.
From what I gather, you installed Win-7 on your 1TB HDD into possibly a 100 GB - 150GB partition. which should be labelled C, and now have 810GB listed as "free" or "unallocated", or possibly something different. You should also have a 100MB hidden partition listed first.

Go to Disk Management and check out the lower area of the display,

You should see a strip showing your Drive 0 partitions. It should show Disk 0, Basic, Online. Then the OS partition "Local C", NTFS, Healthy (system), then any other partitions you made such as "Data D", NTFS, Healthy, or just unallocated if it hasn't been partitioned or formatted.
You have to have the OS installed in a defined partition, or you couldn't be going the Disk Management.

If the partitioning is OK, and you are just asking why the space allocation measured in different locations, such as from the Command Line, or properties of Drive C:, or in Disk Management, they are measured in slightly different ways because different programmers wrote the different modules and objects, and they may have rounded differently, or used 1000 MB or 1024 MB = 1 GB.
Also there is some disk space used for overhead and it doesn't show up in the total. 809 in one area may be 810 in another or 812.15 on the command line.
Because of overhead, sector space marking, possibly several bad sectors, it never adds up exactly to the Disk size listed on the Drive. It may be 1.024 TB, or 998 MB, or some other number.

As an example, one PDF file I have in My Documents, the file size = 409KB, in the document properties size = 408 KB(408,131), & size on disk = 412 (421,888). Those slight measurement differences are expected.

Hope that is helpful.
m
l
September 16, 2010 2:55:14 PM

Thanks john, for the explanation....
m
l
!