MSI Afterburner - clock > 960?

uelazar

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Running Win 7 64 bit on X58 with Sapphire 5770 oc'd to 950/1350, and using the latest Afterburner (v2.0.0).

It appears that in both, Afterburner and ATI Overdrive, the max core clock speed I can set it to is 960, yet some folks mention they were able to set it over 1000 and keep stable.

My questions:
■ How can I set the core clock to above the apparent ceiling of 960?
■ How do I enable voltage modification (currently locked in Overdrive & Afterburner)?
■ Your recommendations for higher (>950/1350) stable OC settings will be highly appreciated ...

uelazar

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Don't know if my card allows changes to the voltage, and have no idea where to find that info (currently it is blocked in Afterburner)

The folks that did mention on other threads changing voltage on cards that did not support it, also wrote they had to flush the card's bios and update it with an ASUS one, regardless if their card was ASUS or not, just because the ASUS bios has voltage tweaks unlocked.

Looking for another way, potentially without having to touch the card's bios ...

Just a nickname

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Go into MSI afterburner files, then profiles, then MSI afterburner.
Localise this line:
UnlockVoltageControl=0

change it to

UnlockVoltageControl=1

You can now change the voltage if your card isn't physicaly blocked (no voltage regulator).

Also, if you check on the files, you can change the limits of the core clock, mem clock, etc.

Hope it helps!

As for the BIOs flash, you shouldn't do it unless you have a backup and read guide about it (duh). Bad flash is reversible however it may cause damages as any BIO flashing!

You don't have to do that in the CFG text.... The settings button in Afterburner has the option to change Voltage control in that way. Which is so much easier.

Also even with the voltage unlock, all 5xxx series cards can't unlock voltage/don't have voltage unlocked unless it is the reference model, or models like the MSI Twin Frozr/Hawk, or the Asus DirectCU. At least I'm pretty sure

Just a nickname

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

They just don't have any voltage regulator...

Yes, thats the wrong thing!

This change solved my problem:

Go in MSI files, then MSI afterburner.

Localise this line:
EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 0

Change it to:
EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 1

Worked for me... No need to flash the BIOs

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

I have tried this and it will not let me save the config file it says access denied ???? what can I do