Sign in with
Your question

Flashing blue lights

Last response: in Storage
September 13, 2010 5:05:50 PM

Hello,
My external hard drive was connected to my laptop and the usb cord was pulled out. I received a blue screen and now I am just getting flashing lights on the front of my hard drive. The computer will recognize the drive and you can see the hard drive but when you go to open the drive the computer freezes. It's a WD MY Book 640 gb hard drive. Is there anyway to get the hard drive back working again?

More about : flashing blue lights

a c 104 G Storage
September 13, 2010 8:44:09 PM

Hi there,

Is it correct to assume your laptop is working OK?
You must have been backing up data with the By Book being active to have the USB Drive become corrupted.

There is nothing in the My Book 640GB Essentials manual that discussed LED error codes, so you should give WD Tech Support a call to determine what the flashing blue light means. Their tele number is 800 275-4932.

If the My Book backup program became corrupted, possibly it can be reinstalled without losing any of your data. The drive itself can be reformatted but you would lose your back up data in that instance.
m
l
September 25, 2010 3:57:35 AM

I just wanted to thank you for your answer, I did reformat my hard drive and it works just fine now. I did call WD Support and they were not really helpful, I had to search the net for the blinking lights and found that they meant the drive was in use. Thanks again. :D 
m
l
Related resources
!