extrafuzzyllama

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
hi all i hope to build my own nas server in future but for now i would like quick easy solution

i was thinking of either buying a qnap ts210 or a synology ds209

i want a nas to stream hd movies and for storage and a itunes server

i just wanted to know which is better and has more features and can handle 1080 movies really well

i was also thinking of using two 2tb hitachi deskstar drives because i had already purchased those about two weeks ago and thought i would put them to good use

are these drives any good?

thx in advance

Don't know about the 2 NAS boxes, but you already have the drives, so why ask if they are good now? Should have asked 2 weeks ago eh?

They are so-so, nothing special. Although the hitachi stuff from what I remember were bought from IBMs drive business which became really tarnished after a whole series of their deskstar drives were failing like mad. They were actually nicknamed "Deathstars" due to their tendancy to die. I would go with Samsung, then WD, then Seagate, then Hitachi myself. But since you already have the drives, unless you buy new ones, you have what you have.

extrafuzzyllama

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
i asked about the drives because i havent even opened them yet because i bought them before deciding to get a nas and i am still in time to return them

but i bout them because i heard that gtechnology drives are really reliable and they use deskstars which i confirmed also by calling them up

i guess i should return them for a pair of wd caviar blacks 2tb