uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Ok so i've been thinking with the upgrades i'm planing on doing to my pc, i'm going to need a case bigger than a microATX case. I have an ATX case from ~ 2002. What are the chances that I can use it for MicroATX. I can provide a picture if needed

All atx cases should work with micro-atx motherboards, provided you can remove the backplate. You may also have to reposition one or two of the standoffs, unless your case has elevated "bumps" in place of screw in standoffs. You don't have to use all of the board holes; sometimes I only use 4 of the holes when mounting the board. Just be sure no standoffs are left under circuitry; all should be under holes in the board.

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
yeah it doesnt have any elevated screws so we should be good... I dont really care about the buttplate, seeing that u actually dont need one. Okay, it looks good and keeps it stable but really, its unnecessary. do you guys think that I should try it because like always, when removing a motherboard, u always run the risk of damage

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
"you guys think that I should try it because like always, when removing a motherboard, u always run the risk of damage"

That's a judgment call. If you decide to go for it be cautious of static and make sure those standoffs are properly lined up.

What is the old case? Does it have adequate cooling and other features?
What will it need to hold?

You could always try tour new stuff in the old case. If it does not work out, then
you can get a nice new Antec 300 delivered for <$60.

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009

well see, the cooling will definitely be better. my current compaq case only has 1 120mm exhaust and is tight on space, so less airflow. Plus the exhaust is towards the middle so the heat from my overclocked GPU just hovers under the PSU. The old case has 2 80mm fans.

I also don't want to buy a new case because the money i save from that can go to the new PSU/GPU/Monitor(maybe). It would save me a good 80 dollars probably.

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
also this old case doesn't have a front panel. I used the pc in that case for a while, and honestly, i dont use front panels much. However, i've been using my headset for Counter Strike a lot recently. Are there Front panels that fit into the CD/DVD drive bays? (5.25" maybe?)

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
looks good. although this is assuming Compaq doesnt destroy the USB headers on the motherboard. they might not like what i'm doing :p i did see a spot where it says SPDIF and has nothing there so i wouldnt be surprised. but that doesnt matter because i'm pretty much interested in the audio parts

TRENDING THREADS