Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Setting up software RAID 0 array

Last response: in Storage
September 13, 2010 11:04:01 PM

Hello,
I'm sure that you guys get asked questions related to this all the time, but I have searched the forums and did not find my answer.

I was wondering (if it was at all possible) to run a software RAID 0 array using striped volumes on my system. I have 2 hard drives of the same type and capacity, and one is booting to Windows (though, I am willing to do a fresh install). I also am using Windows 7 Home Premium.

So... if it is at ALL possible, how would I go about doing this (and before anyone asks why I don't just do a hardware configuration, it's because I am using a laptop).

Thanks for any help, and sorry for any noobish-ness.
a b G Storage
September 14, 2010 2:37:38 AM

It's doubtful your laptop motherboard is RAID-capable, but if you post the make and model we could look around the web.
m
l

Best solution

September 16, 2010 2:39:14 PM

Short answer: No, it's not possible.

Longer answer: I spent ages recently looking into doing just what you're talking about. You can't software RAID the system partition (you can use diskpart to create a striped array but windows won't install onto it) as the BIOS can't read a software RAID to boot the OS (including the software that does the RAID management).

Your only option is to create a partition for the OS and then to RAID 0 what you can of the rest of the disks (resulting in 3 logical disks). Which to me totally defeated the point of having RAID 0.
Related resources
September 23, 2010 12:08:01 AM

treefrog07 said:
It's doubtful your laptop motherboard is RAID-capable, but if you post the make and model we could look around the web.

It's not RAID capable. No option to be found in the BIOS. And it's an Acer Aspire 7745G, though I doubt that you could help get me any further. Thanks though.
Quote:
Your only option is to create a partition for the OS and then to RAID 0 what you can of the rest of the disks (resulting in 3 logical disks). Which to me totally defeated the point of having RAID 0.

That's what I thought. Well, thanks guys for your input anyways!
m
l
September 26, 2010 4:34:14 PM

Best answer selected by D4N14L.
m
l
!