Setting up software RAID 0 array

D4N14L

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
Hello,
I'm sure that you guys get asked questions related to this all the time, but I have searched the forums and did not find my answer.

I was wondering (if it was at all possible) to run a software RAID 0 array using striped volumes on my system. I have 2 hard drives of the same type and capacity, and one is booting to Windows (though, I am willing to do a fresh install). I also am using Windows 7 Home Premium.

So... if it is at ALL possible, how would I go about doing this (and before anyone asks why I don't just do a hardware configuration, it's because I am using a laptop).

Thanks for any help, and sorry for any noobish-ness.

Solution
Short answer: No, it's not possible.

Longer answer: I spent ages recently looking into doing just what you're talking about. You can't software RAID the system partition (you can use diskpart to create a striped array but windows won't install onto it) as the BIOS can't read a software RAID to boot the OS (including the software that does the RAID management).

Your only option is to create a partition for the OS and then to RAID 0 what you can of the rest of the disks (resulting in 3 logical disks). Which to me totally defeated the point of having RAID 0.

El_Presidente

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Short answer: No, it's not possible.

Longer answer: I spent ages recently looking into doing just what you're talking about. You can't software RAID the system partition (you can use diskpart to create a striped array but windows won't install onto it) as the BIOS can't read a software RAID to boot the OS (including the software that does the RAID management).

Your only option is to create a partition for the OS and then to RAID 0 what you can of the rest of the disks (resulting in 3 logical disks). Which to me totally defeated the point of having RAID 0.

Solution

D4N14L

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010

It's not RAID capable. No option to be found in the BIOS. And it's an Acer Aspire 7745G, though I doubt that you could help get me any further. Thanks though.
That's what I thought. Well, thanks guys for your input anyways!