Tough times ahead for Nvidia?

godfath3r

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
dont believe all what you read pal. nvidia, dead in the water? i hardly think so. tough times ahead? what company wont in the current times.

a bit of competition doesnt automatically mean failure. in fact it spurs you on to come out with something bigger and better, just take the gtx 295 for example. writing off nvidia is just plain stupid. they will be around for a long time to come, you mark my words :D

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
enjoy the read, and maybe relax while your at it.

If you see my posts I put enjoy after every post with information.

Now relax, take your tylenol 3, and read the article, no1 asked you to be happy or sad.

No1 is writing off, Nvidia, every1 was saying ATI/AMD was dead, but they made a come back, this is just an update of where the company is.

Don't hate the messenger hate the writer.

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Well I think that now Nvidia is going to have to get off their a**es and do something........its about time. :)

ATI came back and caught Nvidia by surprise, thats why Nvidia has been scrapping together GPUs to compete with ATI (hence the rumored GTX 275 to compete with the 4890). So now, as I have already stated, Nvidia needs to get off their a**es and throw a punch back at ATI. Im sure as soon as Nvidia gets back on their feet though, they will start coming out with great technology.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Nice one. It says what pretty much every non-blind enthusiast has been observing, though. CUDA and PhysX show no sign of surviving outside of their current niches, Ion is much more about a concept than about real usefulness and their high-end can't keep their pockets filled enough. I would say that they need to get their next arch very right (not only in performance, but in general), because otherwise we'll start to see the downfall of Nvidia. I bet someone will buy them in the long run.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

If you consider the GTX 295 as something 'bigger and better' brought forth by competition then your expectations must be dismally low. You seriously consider two cards being slapped together a great technological accomplishment ? Someone could get the same performance from 2 X GTX260 in SLI, it is hardly revolutionary.

Like you I agree that they will be around for a long time, but let's not try to cover for a company that has been having alot of bad luck lately, and is often a bit shady in their business practices.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
yes but the same could be said with the 4870 X2 and 2 4870s.

2 4870s outperform an X2 generally, while the 295 GTX outperforms the 260s.

The 295 GTX isn't a revolution, nor should it be treated like 1, its only 10-15% faster thant he 4870 X2 if any, and it really just seems like a quick mash up video card.

Though its doing well, I just don't trust quad enough to buy it, and atleast the 4870 X2 gives you the option for tri Crossfire instead of quad fire.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
SLi and Crossfire in general are huge letdowns I think. Its mostly a marketing technique to sell more cards, as their actual performance is always hindered by sh1tty drivers or bad software support or both.

Personally I think multiple video card solutions need to dissapear completely, its a remnant of an archaic mindset of man that "bigger is better". More focus needs to be put on efficient single GPU solutions.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005

I agree but I believe that PhysX is in asset that nVidia can definitely take advantage of. I am wanting some one to start releasing PPU cards again for PhysX, it is finding its way into more games and recent findings show drastic differences in game performance while running a dedicated PPU with PhysX enabled.

As for the discrete card market, they don't have to worry that much. ATI releasing a card that is a better bargain or just out right faster is nothing new, they have been trading blows pretty regularly since the 9 series.

Northbridges and onboard graphics is an area where their probably taking the biggest hit. Since AMD acquired ATI nVidia lost considerable market share.
Nforce chips and AMD cpus were always matched up in enthusiast systems. Then you have intel squabbling over petty bs about its northbridges and doesn't want to let nvidia produce chipsets for the i7. ATI has also stepped its onboard GFX chips too.

SLi and Crossfire in general are huge letdowns I think. Its mostly a marketing technique to sell more cards, as their actual performance is always hindered by sh1tty drivers or bad software support or both.

I agree for the most part (especially when it was introduced during the GeForce6 era) but their coming around, more games support the use of multi-gpu than before. Hopefully that additions to D3D will help as well, supposedly this is an area that will be addressed when D3D11 is released.

Anyway, nVidia has some tough times but their not going anywhere, they seem pretty resilient.

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
i think intel squabbling over northbridges is more to do with that can of whoop ass nvidia where going to give them, they have no one to blame but themselves for intels refusal to give them a licence

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Ahh, I forgot. Youre right about everything.

Ill make a note about this in my "Book of Arrogance".

Dont worry, sooner or later Ill learn not to cross your judgement. After all, "so it's written, so it shall be done", right?

godfath3r

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009

when did i even once mention my expectations or technological accomplishment?. i stated bigger and better, which in fact the 295 is in comparison to the 4870x2, which is the sole reason it was developed. anyway dont get slating nvidia when ati did exactly the same thing with the 4870.

and my point isnt just about competition between ati and nvidia, i mean competition as a whole. with intel coming into the market, this will surely give ati and nvidia a kick up the ass, and bring them out of their comfort zone, which in the end benefits the consumer with cheaper and better components

jennyh

Splendid
The difference between then and now in the discrete gpu market is Nvidia can no longer demand silly money for their higher end cards.

Lets assume they were able to hold onto their market share, they still lost hundreds of millions simply down to be forced to release their cards at much lower prices than in previous years.

When intel join in, Nvidia will just get squeezed more and more. ATI customers will stick with ATI while Nvidia/Intel customers will go where the most advertising is. Only one winner in that one - I'm already seeing Nvidia drop out of huge games (why no Way it's meant to be played on Empire Total War?). Intel's huge pot of gold will take over game advertising and you'll see nothing except larrabee ads when you load a game in the near future.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

I must disagree. While drivers are not perfect, multi-GPU setups are still beneficial. I jsut built my second system with 2 crossfired 4830s that are heavily overclocked. Show me another solution for $190 that can beat that. Also when I got my second 4870 X2 I got massive minimum frame rate increases for $380, the only other comparative upgrade was 2 GTX 285s which are MUCH more expensive.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Really?

285s have been found as low as 275$ after MIR on Newegg, and generally atleast 320$ after MIR.

Quad fire is def not a better solution since it doesn't scale the way its supposed 2. A number of sites say that, and have done tests. Thats why I don't recommend more than 3 GPUs.

min frame rate problems, over all screen tearing. Just not worth it the extra money since i doubt the percentage of performance you get is more or the same as the amount of money you paid.

Scaling goes 2 cards > 3 cards > 4 cards.

Single GPU solution is still the best:)

4745454b

Titan
The difference between the 4870x2, and the GTX295 is intent. AMD INTENDED to make the 4870x2, they had to make it to compete in the high end. Nvidia did the knee jerk slap it together to keep the high end they lost. One was planed all along, the other was done simply to stay on top. While the difference might seem slight, it does point to one company doing well, while another company (seems to be) doing whatever it can to stay in the game. Add in the board renames, etc, and you have to wonder what is going on over there.

In no way do I think Nvidia will fold or get bought out. At the same time I do think Nvidia will have some tough times if they seem to be this badly managed.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
well I believe that Nvidia is a rich company so they have from where to lose, because of the success of the 8 series, where across the board we saw only Nvidia boom. And 2 series were ignored from ATI, 2000s and 3000s (though I did think the 3000s had it in them for mid range cards).

People don't realize that Nvidia has only been renaming their products for 2 years, and ATI just now has cards to match it, thats what I'm pissed off about. But its because of ATI that we had such a price drop, so really thank both companies for being at each other throats.