Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BFG 9800 GX2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 25, 2009 12:17:24 AM

Hi there :)  i have a strange problem with my computer, i have a Asus P5Q Pro mother board and a BFG 9800GX2 and a Corsair 620w HX powersupply.
I cant get my two crt screens to work in multi display and several games i have been playing i have to turn detail level to medium orelse the games lags or what the word for it is. Im wondering if my motherboard is to cheap so it cant handle my GX2 or what can the problem be ? I have search the internet for answers but no luck :( 

Please help me

//Gix

More about : bfg 9800 gx2

March 25, 2009 12:20:06 AM

The motherboard is fine. However I would recommend reinstalling the newest drivers, also check your temps.

As far as the monitors are concered, you might have the option disabled in the nvidia control pannel.
m
l
March 25, 2009 12:27:21 AM

I have the newest driver, 182.08_geforce_winxp_32bit_english_whql. How do i check the temps ? :p  I tryed enable it but it never goes enables and i dont get any error messages. one strange thing is in properties for the GX2 it only says that is has 512 MB of Ram LOL
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2009 12:32:04 AM

Well....its does have 512mb. Its two cards with 512mb each. The 1GB is nothing but marketing really. Kinna like how the 4870X2 is advertised with 2GB, its only 1GB useable for each GPU...they dont combine.

As for the temps, try rivatuner.
m
l
March 25, 2009 12:55:43 AM

well rivatuner says that is hasnt been tested on my current driver. And it says if i have more then one display adapter installed (i have two i guess) i should choose tweek in the list below, but when i try that the program stop working, is it couse of my driver u think ? should i change anything in the program maybe ?
m
l
March 25, 2009 1:05:39 AM

Rivatuner usually takes a few days/weeks to get updated to support the newest drivers, which is an annoyance. I really dont know of any other way to check temps on Nvidia cards, I use EVGA's Precision software for my GTX 285, and I believe it works with non-EVGA cards but not sure about the 9800GX2.
m
l
March 25, 2009 1:32:35 AM

ok, ill check it out. Thank you for your time :) 
m
l
March 25, 2009 1:34:13 AM

m
l
March 25, 2009 1:34:16 AM

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 25, 2009 10:43:43 AM

Last I checked, to use two displayes, you need to disable SLI (newer drivers may have changed this though). Still, for anything graphically advanced, this will kill a GX2...
m
l

Best solution

March 25, 2009 2:23:29 PM

The SLI thing is probably the problem. I believe you can only have dual monitors and SLI on Vista only. If you have XP, you are going to run into problems because that card is essentially two cards in SLI. You have to disable SLI to get dual monitors, which in turn disables one of your cards from aiding in the graphics processing. This would mean you are using basically a 9800 GTX and it could possible be overheating. Get Riva Tuner and make some fan profiles. I crank my fans (8800GTS SLI) up to 80% when I am gaming, just to keep them cool. If you have vista and are trying to dual screen it, then you might just be maxing out your cards potential since it is rendering twice as much screen space.
!