Sign in with
Your question

Problems viewing videos windows xp

Last response: in Windows XP
August 3, 2011 2:42:26 PM

I cannot view you tube videos. They keep buffering and play intermittently. What can I do to correct? Thank you
August 3, 2011 3:55:14 PM

reinstall flash player.
try another browser
restart your machine
reset your internet connection
recreate the video using sock puppets.
m
l
August 10, 2011 1:59:13 AM

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I have tried everything except the sock puppets. LOL! I even tried Dell Gold support and they told me to hold the button down until video plays completely and then play it again. Well, this works but who wants to go through that or has the time? Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
August 10, 2011 2:50:05 AM

Pam Testroet said:
They keep buffering and play intermittently.

That generally means your internet bandwidth is holding you back. Generally speaking, it is not uncommon for the video to stop playing while the video is still being downloaded (buffering). It happens to me sometimes especially if the video itself is quite large and requires a lot of bandwidth.
m
l
August 10, 2011 6:04:41 AM

jaguarskx said:
That generally means your internet bandwidth is holding you back. Generally speaking, it is not uncommon for the video to stop playing while the video is still being downloaded (buffering). It happens to me sometimes especially if the video itself is quite large and requires a lot of bandwidth.

Thats sounds like it. You need a faster connection Pam. I see this a lot with slower connections. However, connections fast enough to support steady streaming performance are available in most places.
m
l
August 10, 2011 1:49:03 PM

If your connection is the problem - here is how you test: COnnect your cable modem directly to your PC, reboot and try again. If things improve, then look at your router for the cause. Sometiems a factory reset is the easiest way to resove.

Another way to test for issues is setting your DNS settings on the machine to your provider's DNS or openDNS/googleDNS and see if that helps. If it does, it can indicate other issues.

Another advanced thing to consider is your hosts file. If you open it up (google how if you don't know) and you see a lot of entries you don't want, you may want to clean it out (look that up too). Keep in mind, some software adds entries, like spybot search and destroy s0....

m
l
August 11, 2011 4:48:52 AM

CompTIA_Rep said:
If your connection is the problem - here is how you test: COnnect your cable modem directly to your PC, reboot and try again. If things improve, then look at your router for the cause. Sometiems a factory reset is the easiest way to resove.

Another way to test for issues is setting your DNS settings on the machine to your provider's DNS or openDNS/googleDNS and see if that helps. If it does, it can indicate other issues.

Another advanced thing to consider is your hosts file. If you open it up (google how if you don't know) and you see a lot of entries you don't want, you may want to clean it out (look that up too). Keep in mind, some software adds entries, like spybot search and destroy s0....

These steps are premature and in some cases irrelevant.

1) We never established her rated connection speed or provider.

2) She never said if he even has a router.

3) Never said she had cable modem.

4) What difference would DNS issues make? The video is downloading, albeit slowly, so the host IP would already have been resolved.

5) How would clearing out the HOST file entries make videos stream more smoothly?

Begin by telling us Pam about your service and its rated speed. Then run an online speed test and see if your connection speed matches the rated speed. A speed test can be found at DSLreports.com under tools.

That where to begin. Not messing with the HOST file or DNS settings.
m
l
August 11, 2011 1:43:19 PM

If she has a router, DNS lookups can cause issues internally (which is another issue altogether) and hard coding DNS on the machine can make a huge difference if affected.

But I was brainstorming. Its up to the poster find relevancy when there is a lack of information. Plus it can spawn thinking that is helpful. Obviously if she is on a dsl modem, or a lack of router, some ideas may not be possible.

And for the hosts file, same issue. A million entries, redirects, or corruption can cause slowdown. Its not just a video loading. Its a video loading, pulling data from various random sites locations ips at the same time (in many cases)
m
l
August 12, 2011 5:46:23 AM

CompTIA_Rep said:
If she has a router, DNS lookups can cause issues internally (which is another issue altogether) and hard coding DNS on the machine can make a huge difference if affected.

But I was brainstorming. Its up to the poster find relevancy when there is a lack of information. Plus it can spawn thinking that is helpful. Obviously if she is on a dsl modem, or a lack of router, some ideas may not be possible.

And for the hosts file, same issue. A million entries, redirects, or corruption can cause slowdown. Its not just a video loading. Its a video loading, pulling data from various random sites locations ips at the same time (in many cases)

Ok, maybe its not impossible, but I have seen this very problem she describes countless times over the years. Almost all of them so far have been cheesy connection speed.

The problems you listed are much rarer and are not usually limited to steaming video. At least not in my experience. But who knows, maybe your right.

One other possibility just came to mind. I have seen this type of problem with older systems trying to play video files too large for the cpu to process in real time. She didn't list her system specs.

m
l
!