Sign in with
Your question

Building a HTPC/Nas OS question

Last response: in Storage
September 14, 2010 3:31:49 PM

I'm building an i3 HTPC that will double as a NAS. I'm aware that windows has drive sharing built-in, but i'm looking for something highly configurable.

My question is this:

Is there any windows software out there that helps to configure, and optimize drive sharing? I'm basically looking for a freenas type software that will run inside windows.

The reason i'm asking is, dual booting freenas and windows 7 looks extremely complicated, and i'm not even sure if i'll be able to access my storage from within windows.

Also, i know that running windows server makes for a cruddy home theater experience.

I'm building this extremely nice htpc, and don't know what to put on it in terms of making it a server.

Function: Printer/Storage sharing, AFP, CIMBS, NFS, FTP, HTTP, UPNP

Also, a few extras would be nice: Email alerts, remote access, i'd like to be able to boot the machine from another computer on command.

Maybe i should dual boot windows server and windows 7?
a b G Storage
September 15, 2010 7:16:04 AM

I think Linux can do these things for you better.

However, win7 has fairly nice and super easy to use networking capabilities as long as the other computers run win7 too.

I like what you're doing. But why not consider using an ssd boot disc in the htpc and having the server elsewhere. This saves space and noise in your htpc and, for a couple hundred bucks, you have a better htpc and a remote freenas server that works much better at being a server.
m
l
September 17, 2010 3:44:18 AM

I am going to do the same thing..NAS and Media Streaming.. I will go with xenserver, then install Windows server 2008 for file sharing, Windows Home server for streaming, and Windows 7 for media center capabilities, all as virtual machines all running at the same time on the same machine. You have Windows Server as the file server and the media in a folder that is mapped on the other OS's, since the OS's are all in the same machine the performance is fast.

Look for the xenserver..it is the new revolution in virtual machines
m
l
!