Sign in with
Your question

My 1st AMD Linux Build (CHEAP)

Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2009 8:26:29 PM

I am looking to build a cheap Linux machine, mainly for general surfing, downloading, storing music, using Open Office.... (This is NOT my gaming build, that's a separate Windows machine ya'll helped me build recently, thanks BTW! I don't want to dual boot the Win/Linux, because I want the Linux always on...)

So, I have a few old pieces of hardware I believe are still good for this new build; a 6800GT PCIe x1 video card, a computer case, and a good power supply (overkill here, it's a 600W OCZ, hehe..)

So with that in mind, here's my choices for an extreme budget Linux desktop (w/ good quality parts, I want this to last a while);

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket AM2 65W
$56.99

GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard (using on-board audio, maybe the video if my old 6800GT is bad)
$54.99

G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (1x 2GB stick, will get another 2GB later, Ubuntu should run great still on 2GB and never need to touch the swap)
$23.99

HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 HDP725050GLA360 (0A35415) 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
$59.99

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA
$24.99

So my grand total is $220 (w/o shipping...all from NewEgg as usual...)

What do you all think? My 6800GT PCIex1 card SHOULD work on this MB, right? (backwards compat.) Onboard audio should be okay.. hopefully all the parts will work out of box w/ Ubuntu 8.10... trying to keep the price as close as possible to $200, so I think I did pretty good!

Any compatibility issues ya'll see? Anything you'd change?

This will be my 4th ever build (w/ your help of course!), and my first ever AMD build, first ever Linux build from ground-up)

EDIT: Forgot to mention I also don't need a monitor, going to use a KVM switch to switch between the Win and Linux desktops on the same desk..
March 1, 2009 2:35:43 AM

Hmm since u mentioned lasting for a while - why not get a better mobo? This was my suggestion for a multi core work box on the cheap - the mobo has been tested passed to unlock the 4th dormant core on these new Phenom 2 tri cores so that could be a fun thing to try out hehe If you really tight change proc to x2 5050e and i'd say just the 1 stick of 2GB and keep 3 DIMM free?

Stick to the integrated video
!