First time builder - Need help with my video card

onawire

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I needed a second computer, so I bought one on ebay. Everything is together except I needed to buy a hard drive and a video card.

I'm not in to gaming so I only needed something that would work.

I bought a Sparkle Geforce 9500 GT 1024MB DDR2 PCI Express 2.0.
Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187034

The motherboard is:

XFX MB-N780-ISH9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Intel Motherboard

Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813141005&Tpk=XFX%20780I

I installed the hdd, and then put in the video card, plugged in my monitor and the monitor says no signal. I know the monitor works because I connected it to my laptop.

What could be the problem? DOA?

paul

PSU:
CoolMax CXI-600B
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159055

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Is your computer starting at all?
or is it just no display on the monitor?

Try it in your first computer (your first computer is a desktop right?), if it works then you know something is wrong with the second build (most likely the power supply is not working correctly).,if it doesn't, then you know it is the card.

With problems like these, its always good to troubleshoot before immediately declaring the dreaded "DOA".

onawire

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
My computer starts up fine, no problem. It has a clean HDD in it so I don't have an operation system yet.

My other computer is a laptop, I can only test to see if the monitor works, and it does.

I start up the computer, and the monitor just says (NO SIGNAL), then just a blank screen. Though, if I have the monitor already on (blank screen) and then turn on the computer, the monitor senses something because all of a sudden it says (NO SIGNAL), but then goes away to a blank screen.

I dont' really have anything to test it with. Is it possible that I didn't have the video card completely in the PCI express slot and it shorted or something? I watched videos and read about video card installation, and if doesn't seem like it should be this difficult.

Is there anything that I need to do to the motherboard, I have 3 PCI e slots, I have the video card in the #1 slot.

I've looked all over for a compatibility list btw the video cards and motherboard, but haven't been able to find one. I don't want to send it back and get a replacement just to find out that the motherboard doesn't like this card.

paul

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
ehh boudy... 780i doesn't have onboard video

You'll have to test with another card.

If you don't have another card see if you can return the card for a refund and buy one from a different brand.

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009

..... :( I completely forgot he put his specs up there........

@rangers
he said that it just says/shows "no signal", and he also said the rest of his computer started up.

Its too bad that its a fanless video card, otherwise it would be easier to see if the card was DOA