Unoriginal

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Hi guys,
I've decided to treat myself to a gaming rig after many years of sub-par PCs! I don't want to physically
build my own as i'm always terrified i'll muck it up. So after finding a decent(ish) site, I've choosen the following and was hoping for your thoughts/opinions on what isn't neccesary (I.E. I have no idea if I need this cooling or standard
cooling is sufficient?) and what could do with an improvement!

Any help is greatly apprecieated,

Thanks!

Processor: i7-920 (4x 2.66)
RAM: 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 1600Mhz
Motherboard: ASUS P6T (Dunno if I should upgrade this, other options are P6T Deluxe V2 and RAMPAGE II Extreme?)
HD: 150GB WD VelociRaptor
GFX: 1792MB GeForce GTX295
Sound Card: Sound-Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1
Power Supply & Case Cooling: 900W Quiet Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (The site tells me I only need around
730w (which includes a 20% allowance) but the difference between 800 and 900w is £8 so I figure best to get this
incase of upgrades in future?)
Cooling: ASUS Triton 81 pure copper base ultra cooler

My main thoughts/concerns are on the motherboard, PSU and cooling.

£1554 inc vat et delivery. This is pretty much the limit of my budget, I realise I'll be overpaying as I'm not making the system myself, but I'll be in a better state of mind! :)

150GB is very small. Just switch to a decent sized Caviar black if they give you that option.

What brand PSU is this?

It's OK to mention the site you are buying from btw. You won't get in trouble :)

As is always the case with sites like this, some of the parts are questionable. They want to buy their parts in bulk of course, so they can make a good profit.

You would probably be better off getting your parts list together and finding a local shop to assemble it for you. Then you would have more control over the PSU and CPU cooler.

You should also look at the case. You want a well cooled one to protect your investment and look nice.

Unoriginal

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Thanks again for the reply,

I've sent them an emailing asking for the brand of the PSU, so hopefully their reply should shed some light on the situation. I've searched for reviews and they seem to be 50/50 - either brilliant or terrible!

I then took a look at overclockers.co.uk - slightly more expensive, but if they have better reviews it's worth the peace of mind! However, they also seem to have mixed reviews!

I guess I should start sourcing parts, incase I manage to find a tech-gifted person!

In all likely-hood, I won't be purchasing anything till June, so at least this gives me time to fully research and review all my options!

Thanks again for the help!