Laptop Graphics Cards

nawako

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
So I have a Dell Vostro 1400 and I was wondering if i can swap out the graphics card. I was googling and cant seem to find anything about it. Can anyone give me some insight?

kurtyboh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
This is the gpu you have NVidia 8400m GS, while it is a dedicated gpu it is also on a dell, also sold on hp and many others. most of the time big box brands dont allow you to upgrade much without upgrading a lot, they call it propriety. Meaning you won't be able to swap out your cpu either unless you replace your mobo becuase everything is soldered into place. and finding a non-propriety mobo to fit your laptop case with the right connections in all the right places will be tough. and truly if you open up your laptop you'll see what i'm talking about. sorry to be a bubble buster.

kurt

kurtyboh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
just to clear up any future miscommunication by listening to my advice...
It has been brought to my attention that its PROPRIETARY, not propriety as i had said previously... my bad

kurt

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I would look into it a bit more. I have a dell inspirion 8600 and after I purchased it a few years ago I wasn't happy with my gaming performance so after doing some research I found a person on Ebay selling the upgraded video card to my laptop. To make a long story short I swapped out the cards and it worked. Half life 2 ran so much better. To tell you the truth that was my first experience working with computers now its my hobby.