DDR333 with this motherboard/cpu

spk584

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I'm fried my motherboard or processor not so long ago, and i planned on buying a new board and a new processor. I bought a radeonx1650pro graphics card (agp 4x/8x) before my computer fried. Trying to be able to use the same video card, i found a board with the right slot, my only concern is, i have 2 gigs of ddr333 memory and the board is a ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 LGA 775 VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard, and i plan on getting a Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor. Will the ddr333 memory work, if i want to oc the processor will the memory hold me back, thanks a ton.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
you are most welcome

So you are going to overclock a no name mb with the wrong ram for the motherboard installed in it. Should be fun, I once hooked my tv to my computer with a piece of speaker wire it worked better than i thought it would. Best of luck with the overclock, and please do let me know how far it goes.

spk584

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Let me just get right on that, i dont have a job, im only 15 years of age, i make 35 dollars a week from poker. So yeah, let me just run out and buy a new mobo, processor, video card, and ram. So basically, a new computer.

DarkMantle

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008

Well, your memory will not work with a Socket 775 Motherboard and to find one of those with AGP Port at that is hard, in the end you will be spending around 180 US Dollars on new memory (a waste to go with 2GB if you can save a little more and get 4GB), E5200, and 775 Socket Motherboard with IGP (Socket 775 is facing the end of its life). My advice, save some more money or ask your parents for some cash in advance of future gifts or what ever and spend around 270 US Dollars on something like this:

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131398

AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103648

Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148227

If you are thinking about overclocking that E5200 you will need to buy an after market cooler for that, if you are not, there is no point to go with that processor. The Phenom II x3 710 will murder it if both at stock clocks, and you can overclock it too, you will get an extra core and you will use it on the AM3 socket (newest AMD socket) this will give you a better upgrade path in the future, you will also be using DDR3 1333 mhz with fast timmings and the Video Chip that comes with the Motherboard would be equal if not better to your AGP card, you can save some more money and upgrade the video card later.

I would like to know what PSU are you using right now, to see if it can handle all of this or if you need a new one.

Final words: You are past the point of when your old system needed and upgrade, if you go with old and not so cheap parts you will be facing the same situation all over again shortly, better to spend a bit more and get the best bang for your buck.

That motherboard - check the manufacturers website for 45nm cpu support

As for the motherboard its self - poor ass performance with anything, don't bother! Get a new motherboard, ram and CPU - big difference for not much more -take a look at an ASUS P5KPL-CM or P5KPL-AMPS, E5200 and a kingston 4gb memory kit (PC6400).

Its a lame ass VIA PT880 chipset if i remember correctly - failure of a company VIA is.

And as for having a go at nice people or people having an honnest laugh - ease up buddy.

DarkMantle

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
You honestly think it is good advice to tell him to spend around 170 bucks on 800 mhz memory, a good but old Processor and an old Motherboard with an Intel GMA 3100 on board graphic chipset instead of waiting a couple of weeks and save some money for something way better?.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008

See that was rude and uncalled for.

First I provided you the answer to your question which then rudely tell you already knew the answer to, so thank you for wasting time i could have helped someone else with. I then wish you luck your project since you don't want my help, and you call me a prick. Still you are young so one more attempt courtesy.

I have assemble worse compilations and made them work, the question is do you have the time and the skill. As far as the time you would waste getting that to work you properly, you could spend it mowing yards. Then you would have the money for the proper parts as all the nice people on here suggested.

FYI
In a pinch speaker wire can take place of coax cable to hook up a tv, when I was 15 I got my computer parts off the side of the road on trash day. If you think that is bad you should have seen my homemade serial connectors made out of paperclips.

GumCuzLN2

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Man, why don't you get off your rear and get a job? When i was 15, I worked + school, and paid over $800 for a PIII-733. I hate lazy people who try to cheapskate everything, not to mention this is the cheapest time to buy PC guts EVER IN THE HISTORY OF EARTH. Radeon 4770s for ~$100, 4 gigs of DDR2 - $50, $60 Dual core processors. And you have the guts to be a jerk to someone for trying to help your lazy+stupid self. Pity. I thought my generation of teens were complete idiots. Just a decade later, and they're twice as stupid.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
I don't think you should generalize teens like that based off one person. Yeah I'm a teen, I work hard in school and I have a job. I agree with you that this guy is just lazy. If you can earn $500 or so you make a new computer using quality parts. If you go amd buy a 550 and unlock the cores. Buy a 4770, 4850, 4870 for around a $100. Get a job. Mow your neighbors lawn shovel snow in the winter, rake leaves, or something. That's how I made money before I could get a real job. By the way I have 4.0 GPA and I make $12 an hour.

djbrad007

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Hi,

honest answer from a 4CoreDual-SATA2 owner.

I have buy this board 1 or 2 years ago for my girlfriend.

I had :

E2160 cpu
Gefore 6600 agp
2x512mb ddr400
2xide hd + 2xide dvdrw

All went well, girlfriend is very happy with performance under xp.

My 10y boy is happy with performance in flatout 2 (maxed at 1280x1024).

Later, I changed the Geforce 6600GT AGP for an Asus 3450 PCIE (fan dying on 6600GT) and went to 2x1GB DDR2-667.

Similar performance, silent.

If you really have no money for the moment and no way to get more (can't wait), buy this board.

The E5200 is supported since bios 2.00 in 2008.

Ram will be ok because the E5200 is 800 fsb (only neeed ddr200 or more).

I suggest to flash to pctreiber last bios of this mb, it add automatic fan control from the mb (no need to install speedfan anymore, yeah!).

I like this board a lot and used a lot of hybrid mb when I was a poor student (remember the good old msi with ddr or ddr2 ram, or the Abit KT7-A with 2100 Athlon XP, PC-133 sdram with old isa soundblaster 64).

Regards,

Brad

spk584

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I apologize for the rash rude behavior, but as a first reply I was not expecting to be responded to as if I cannot read specifications. I am not dumb, nor do I propose myself as a genius, I take advanced placement psychology (a college course) as a sophomore in high school, so please don't implore that I, or the generation that applies to me, is any less able or intelligent than past generations. I have fully realized that I might as well stop trying to throw money at a wasted computer and I should just save up and get a macbook, or a nicer computer off of a site such as craigslist. Also, we're in a recession, I have applied at many businesses and have not been able to acquire a job, please do not call me lazy for I have tried to get myself a job.