I have a strange problem you might be able to help with

Hi all

I have a strange problem you might be able to help with,


My system keeps crashing when playing games, some times with bluescreens and sometimes just frozen, so I have to force a reset.
I have had the system test with a GF-9800 and its runs stable, tested by the company I got the mobo and other parts from, I send the GFX card back to XFX and they say its 100% fine. I have tired the drivers from the CD that came with the card and the new ones from NV.

I got the card before I upgraded all the other parts in the system, but I did have the same problem as before AMD 4400x2 Gigabyte mobo. So i thought the problem was with the old parts. Guess I was wrong.

So I'm total stumped. I don't want to get a new GFX card this is still a very hight spec card.

System spec
Q6600
Asus P5Q, P45, Socket-775
XfX 8800GTS Fatality
OCZ DDR2 PC8500 4048MB KIT, Reaper HPC,
600W PSU
Windows XP SP3
17 answers Last reply
More about strange problem with
  1. What kind of PSU do you have, and did you upgrade it as well?
  2. Its a 600W ATX.2 SLI Janetech. i know it handles a 9800 fine then it should be ok with 8800?
  3. what bsod do you get? note the codes and the titles,

    like memory management / 0x00000C1 etc....
  4. normally had NV something I haven't had a blue screen in a while since i updated the BOIS.
  5. Could be a driver issue or it could be a memory issue.

    The psu may not deliver enough amps on the 12v rail to power the gpu. Having enough watts isn't the only thing that drives a computer.

    As mentioned, the codes and text from the BSoD will tell you what the cause of the issue is. Get those codes and go a google search or go to the mobo and gpu forums for similiar issues.
  6. chunkymonster said:
    Could be a driver issue or it could be a memory issue.

    The psu may not deliver enough amps on the 12v rail to power the gpu. Having enough watts isn't the only thing that drives a computer.

    As mentioned, the codes and text from the BSoD will tell you what the cause of the issue is. Get those codes and go a google search or go to the mobo and gpu forums for similiar issues.



    what kinda memory issue can it be if the setup has worked with another card ?
  7. jagzc said:
    what kinda memory issue can it be if the setup has worked with another card ?



    Just offering ideas and possibilities to help you fix your problem.

    Heat could cause game freezes and BSoD's. Got dust bunnies? Got proper ventilation? Are the temps in your case and gpu within limits?

    Another possibility could be hardware incompatibility. Have you updated the mobo with the latest BIOS version?
  8. I'd say heat issues. One easy way to test it is to open the side of your case and blow a fan into it then see if the crashes stop or at least get better.
  9. I am betting on the PSU. Under load, while gaming, the psu draws extra power.
  10. +1 on the PSU. I had similar occurrences as you a few years ago, and replacing the PSU fixed it. Even though it might have enough wattage and amperage, it very well could still be faulty. Such as not putting out as much power as it claims to be able.
  11. jennyh said:
    I'd say heat issues. One easy way to test it is to open the side of your case and blow a fan into it then see if the crashes stop or at least get better.



    Yea that was my first thought to and opend the case and all still crashed
  12. efeat said:
    +1 on the PSU. I had similar occurrences as you a few years ago, and replacing the PSU fixed it. Even though it might have enough wattage and amperage, it very well could still be faulty. Such as not putting out as much power as it claims to be able.



    Can i ask you what parts you had at the time? The only thing i wonder about it not being the psu is that i had is tested by a company and a new gfc card games and bench marking and it was fine over the few days they has and the was a 9800 that would draw more power?
  13. did you remember to completely uninstall the drivers for your previous card prior to removing it and installing the new card?

    could just be some left over trash from the older card causing problems.
    look up a program called drivesweeper to clean out the gunk.
  14. montyuk said:
    did you remember to completely uninstall the drivers for your previous card prior to removing it and installing the new card?

    could just be some left over trash from the older card causing problems.
    look up a program called drivesweeper to clean out the gunk.



    It ws a new Hard drive and all. Everything was new bar the GFx card and the PSU
  15. Re-install the driver again one more time , remove the old one first.
    Check pre-requiste for XfX 8800GTS Fatality in amps on the 12 rail volt. compare that to the pre-requiste for the 9600.
    I take a look and the specification for youe psu and I think 19A on the 12v rail it's not a lot. Maybe someone with more experience on Psu can help you more. But I will look on that way for sure.
  16. jive said:
    Re-install the driver again one more time , remove the old one first.
    Check pre-requiste for XfX 8800GTS Fatality in amps on the 12 rail volt. compare that to the pre-requiste for the 9600.
    I take a look and the specification for youe psu and I think 19A on the 12v rail it's not a lot. Maybe someone with more experience on Psu can help you more. But I will look on that way for sure.



    After a lot of help from people i think it might me my PSU so i have been looking a new one. After all why the hell not its an old one and a *** make after all it was a gift

    Corsair Powersupply 650W Black, ATX/EPS, im guessing that will do it fine as i dont plan on sli. and i only have one HDD for now but will never had more then 2 inside.
  17. jive said:
    Re-install the driver again one more time , remove the old one first.
    Check pre-requiste for XfX 8800GTS Fatality in amps on the 12 rail volt. compare that to the pre-requiste for the 9600.
    I take a look and the specification for youe psu and I think 19A on the 12v rail it's not a lot. Maybe someone with more experience on Psu can help you more. But I will look on that way for sure.



    After a lot of help from people i think it might me my PSU so i have been looking a new one. After all why the hell not its an old one and a *** make after all it was a gift

    Corsair Powersupply 650W Black, ATX/EPS, im guessing that will do it fine as i dont plan on sli. and i only have one HDD for now but will never had more then 2 inside.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics