Radeon 4890 is highly overclockable

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
The newest info about 4890 is that its launch date is pulled ahead to April 2nd. Thats next Thursday.

Lets hope some previews Tomorrow

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
I've already got it on preorder so I'll try to have some benchies up, but its exam month for me lol:p

but I'll have a general idea atleast:) though I should use it in my main for the tests, I'm gonna use it in my secondary, since thats where it will stay, and I don't have time to take out and rearrange everything in my main:p
:)

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
The massive OC rumors we see flying around have me a bit excited. But I have to wonder.. if the card overclocks 150mhz on stock cooling and voltage why are we not seeing higher stock clocks?

I also wonder if the rumors of the extreme 4890 (ATI overclock version) from way back are true.. or if they will leave it in the hands of the partners to release higher clocked chips.

From a business standpoint.. if all of their chip yields are capable of stable OC well over what is stock.. it really doesnt make sense to sell the chips at a lower cost and lower performance. Why not just sell the thing at 950 stock for bit more and make more of a profit?

I suppose the OC's circulating could be phoney, they could be cherry picked gpu's, etc.

At any rate, I am rambling... Point is, does the high OC we are seeing mean that an ati 4890+ (whatever they call it) is going to be released soon if the "high end" yields are strong? Is that only going to come from the partners?

More importantly, are the chips we are seeing hit 1ghz gonig to be reserved for the extreme cards (fingers crossed we see those soon, crossed even more to see simultaneous release) and what gets released on the 2nd(or there abouts) are the chips that didnt make the cut?

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
well the reason they don't oc thecard, because generally when a card is overclocked your shrinking its life, they chose 850 MHZ because thats whats safe, and I doubt u'll see 1050 mhz from distributors as OC versions. I mean this is an EXTREME oc...it would be like you seeing the 285 GTX at 800 mhz core, your killing the card at those speeds.

850 mhz will be stock, and you'll see oc versions at 900 mhz and I doubt any higher than 950 mhz.

a water cooled card might be sold at 1 ghz, but I doubt on air, don't think distributors will risk it.

XFX 4890 here we come;)

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Has anyone heard solid rumors on when partners/ati itself plan to release these "overclock" editions?

If yields of overclockable chips are alright off the bat we may see them right away. Unless ATI would have some reason to hold off on the faster cards. Heres hoping I can get myself a couple 4890XTX's not too long after april hits.