2nd HD with Windows My Documents

johnquest

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I'm upgrading my computer with a new MB, CPU, Video Card, PSU, Memory and Case. I plan to reformt one of my HDs to reinstall Windows XP Pro. On my 2nd HD I have the My Documents folder containing all of my files in a partition. Will I still be able to see the files after moving the HD to my new build? I won't have to reformat this 2nd non-bootable hard drive will I, or how should I proceed?

Thanks all

You should still see the files. I'm assuming you didn't use encryption, of course.

If you want to play it even safer, backup your files first on a DVD-R (or several). You should do that anyway, to protect them from viruses and hardware crashes.

One more thing: some times (rare, but it happens), a HDD and a MB just don't want to work together. I've seen this with my Dad's HP computer (it had some Asus MB, forgot the model). We had to try several HDD models until we managed to add a new HDD to it. Now it has a Seagate 320GB and a WD 500GB, and it refused both Seagate 500GB and WD 750GB disks and even a different WD 500GB model. Just in case you have this problem, make your backups on DVD-R BEFORE you make any other changes. That is, do it using the old XP. Copy the DVDs back to the HDD in a temporary folder to verify them.