Sign in with
Your question

Do i need another cooler?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 28, 2010 6:43:31 PM

I am just about to purchase an AMD Phenom II x4 955 and i'm not really planing on overclocking it by much, most likely just wanna run it between 3.4-3.5ghz (just to get it to more or less match a 965) my question is do i need different cooler to do that or will stock cooling do fine? If i do need could you posible give me some names or links keep in mind i'm NOT planing on OC'ing it by more then 2-300mhz, so it doesn't need to be a noctua nh-d14 cooler ;)  (i hope not).

Since i haven't got the CPU yet(shpping is rather expensive so i would rather not order twice) i can't tell you what its temperatures are, though i hoping some of you might know a "normal" temperature for one of these CPUs is. Room temperature is apx. 22c(during summer months it might be 23-24c)

More about : cooler

a b K Overclocking
September 29, 2010 6:36:30 AM

If you are only OC'ing 200-300MHz, you could probably slide by fine with stock cooling, but Davcon's response is for sure what I'd do. I'd just overclock it further...

You could always try OC'ing it by that amount and seeing where your temps are... then go from there. At a 200-300MHz increase, you're barely going to notice a difference in temps (you might not even need a voltage jump).
Related resources
September 29, 2010 9:06:53 AM

thanks for the replies, i've found a that CM Hyper 212+ cooler on a few "local shops"(and by that i mean from my country) neither of them seem to be delivering the CM hyper212+ with 2fans, will it do just fine with only 1fan or will i then have to get an additional fan for it?

Those cpu coolers today do scare me a bit with there weight :p 
a c 183 K Overclocking
September 29, 2010 1:13:33 PM

akashic said:
thanks for the replies, i've found a that CM Hyper 212+ cooler on a few "local shops"(and by that i mean from my country) neither of them seem to be delivering the CM hyper212+ with 2fans, will it do just fine with only 1fan or will i then have to get an additional fan for it?

Those cpu coolers today do scare me a bit with there weight :p 

The CM 212+ only ships with one fan(extra clips for 2nd fan) and comes with a very good support backplate and decent thermal paste.
Depending on your case you may have to remove the mobo unless your case has a mobo cut-out.
There are many install tutorials on this forum and from CM and other websites(Youtube)exactly for the 212+.
I own one and installation wasn't difficult even at stock speeds the fan is much quieter then the oem one.
September 29, 2010 1:33:32 PM

i guess that 1fan'd CM 212+ will proform just fine then :)  thanks for the advice
!