blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Wait, I couldn't really find an exact answer on the internet and not sure if its true but is Intel planning to discontinue the Core i7 series? I am about to build a computer and use a Core i7 in it? Can someone tell me when they will be discontinued and what will replace them....
-Oh and is it worth getting a core i7 right now while they are available or to wait until the replacement comes out and get that...

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
From what I gathered it's not that i7 is actually gonna be discontinued, their just taking away say the 920's, but keeping the really high ones you know the ones that cost 900+. The highest i5 is gonna be taking the spot of the 920.. not sure if any of this is accurate, it's just what I got out of scimming some things.

loneninja

Distinguished
From the recent rumors and what little evidence is out there, I5 is going to be very close to I7 in performance and range in the $196-$500 territory, there for Intel is discontinuing the I7 models that are in that price range and keeping I7 focused on enthusiast and workstations and it'll have the hefty price of nearly $1000 to go along with it.

Basically it seems like for now C2D/C2Q will be budget, I5 will range cheaper than current I7 and well into current I7's price range, while I7 will become really expensive and high end. And if I'm correct, if you want a 6 core I7 next spring you'll be spending close to $1000 for the cpu as no 6 cores are announced for the cheaper I5 platform.

Note I could very well be wrong on this, I don't follow Intel extremely closely and I've been slipping a bit lately overall on tech as I have no current needs to upgrade and have been too busy to just read everything for hobby.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
i7 930, 950 and 975 from rumors so far. They replace 920, 940 and 965 respectively, which were counter-parts to Lynnfield (i5) SKUs. They did it to differentiate more between high-end (i5) and top-end (i7) and give the consumers a clearer view in justify the spending on i7 parts.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
I am buying a new computer soon(like in 2weeks or less), so should I quickly get the i7 920 which was what I was looking at while its still out there? or wait until the new stuff comes out...if the new processors are coming out in over the next half month or later then I am going to get a i7 920.

NaomiHIkaru

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006

^^Yes it is true the new processors are going to be released in the Q4 09 (more specifically Sept 1st as many have learned) and there were rumors about Intel discontinuing the 920 but just recently went back on that and said no only the 940 will be replaced with the 950 most of it can be found on bit-tech and the once about the 920 is here: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/06/03/intel-answers-the-future-of-core-i7-920/1