Sign in with
Your question

Ga-ma790fxt-ud5p + soundcard PCI-E 1x in PCI-E 16x

Last response: in Motherboards
August 10, 2009 12:42:30 PM

Just a simple question...
can I use a PCI-E 1x soundcard (CL SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio) in a 16x PCI-E slot?
AFAIK there should not be any problem, but I have not read it anywhere exactly...
Thx for any suggestion.
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 10, 2009 3:22:48 PM

A connection between any two PCIe devices is known as a link, and is built up from a collection of 1 or more lanes. All devices must minimally support single-lane (x1) link. Devices may optionally support wider links composed of 2, 4, 8, 12, 16, or 32 lanes. This allows for very good compatibility in two ways:

-a PCIe card will physically fit (and work correctly) in any slot that is at least as large as it is (e.g., an ×1 sized card will work in any sized slot);

-a slot of a large physical size (e.g., ×16) can be wired electrically with fewer lanes (e.g., ×1, ×4, or ×8) as long as it provides the power and ground connections required by the larger physical slot size.

In both cases, PCIe will negotiate the highest mutually supported number of lanes.

Even though the two would be signal-compatible, it is not usually possible to place a physically larger PCIe card (e.g., a ×16 sized card) into a smaller slot —though some motherboards have open-ended PCIe slots that will allow this.

August 10, 2009 10:04:33 PM

Thx for explanation. Meanwhile I have already tried to turn PC on and sound card works fine. That is funny - I asked some guy on the phone at Help desk of PC store where I bought that hardware - and he told that it would NOT work. What kind of jerks are working there?
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 10, 2009 11:43:53 PM

Quote:
What kind of jerks are working there?

Obviously, ones who don't know how to google - was wikipedia article listed first with search of 'PCI-E'!!!
!