Sign in with
Your question

Help with 19inch LCD choice please

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 25, 2009 9:00:58 PM

Hi everyone and thanks for reading :hello: 

I will be buying a 19" widescreen LCD soon, primarily for gaming but I will also watch video while resting fingers and snarfing down a sandwich. I don't own a TV so all my viewing is on PC...thank you HULU!

I am currently considering 2 19-inch 1680X1050 resolution models but am open to suggestions;

ASUS VW192T+... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... cost $119 +free shipping

Acer X193W+BD... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... cost $129 +free shipping

I would welcome info from anyone who has personal experience with either of these 2 choices as well as suggestions for alternate selections.

The higher, and more commonly supported in games, resolution of 1680X1050 is something I would like to stick with. The display will be running on a Radeon HD4850 with a 2nd added in crossfire soon so the higher resolution is covered by plenty of graphics rendering horsepower.

One other important note is that I an on a tight budget and the $129 Acer is very near the upper spending limit.

Any serious input will be highly valued and sincerely appreciated. Thank you for your time.

More about : 19inch lcd choice

March 28, 2009 6:06:44 AM

Chirp... Anyone?
March 29, 2009 3:16:34 AM

In the immortal words of the Great One--Ace Ventura Pet Detective....

ALLLLLLLLLRIGHTIE THEN
April 1, 2009 4:12:34 PM

I've been looking at both these monitors as well. A wise person here gave me some good advice:

Try to look at them in a store if you can. If you buy from a store you can just take it back if there's a problem, otherwise you'll have to pay for shipping back to newegg.

I haven't had a chance to see either of these yet, but I'm going to see if they have one or both of them on display at Microcenter or BestBuy. I suspect the LCD inside comes from the same manufacturer (just a hunch) and that the main differences are in the housing. FWIW, the acer seems quiet popular on newegg, but you can't infer much from popularity.

I'm looking at a very similar graphics card: the 4850 X2. This one held up very well in comparison to SLI and Xfire rigs on a recent set of benchmarks over at Anandtech here. It's a bit pricier at 260$, but then you can save money by not buying an xfire rig (and probably save power as well). At 1680X1050 the 4850 X2 seems like a real price performer on current games.

I'm looking at these monitors primarily for size reasons (on top of price). I can't fit anything bigger than 19". If your main concern is price and not size, then consider one of the 20" ones. I can't vouch for it, but this one looked pretty good:
ASUS VW224U Black 22" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ HDCP Support 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 5000:1) Built in Speakers - $149 (after rebate)
!