External hard drive adaptor?


I'm in the UK but am looking to move to the US sometime next year. I wish to bring my Samsung external hard drive* with me because it has all of my data on and is quite simply invaluable. Now, I know that laptops only need an adaptor - not a voltage converter - to work from these two countries, but I have no idea about external HDs. Can anyone point me to some help on the matter? Do I need a converter, or just an adaptor? I don't wish to fry it and lose everything.

Many thanks.

*If it matters, it's this HD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Story-Station-1-5TB-External/dp/B002C3S6V8
8 answers Last reply
More about external hard drive adaptor
  1. Sorry to reply to my own post but it won't let me edit the original for some reason (?).

    I just wanted to add: I don't know if it's relevant (I really don't know much about this sort of thing, as you can probably tell!) but the cable with the plug at the end has a black box just before it. Is that relevant?
  2. what Voltage does it show on the power supply?

    100V - 230V?
  3. Ah yes, it does show this (well, 110v-230v). I take it that means it's interchangeable, huh?

    I've bought two of these: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=225961

    So hopefully I'm good to go :)
  4. Yep that should work
  5. Excellent. I know in an ideal world it would be better to buy a new system over there but things just haven't worked out that way, so as I say I've bought two of those adaptors - one for the laptop and one for the external HD.

    Thanks for your help!
  6. Oh, incidentally, does anyone know if it's safe to use these adaptors for long periods of time? I mean the external HD will only be plugged in when I want to back-up, but obviously the laptop will be plugged in quite a lot (almost continuously).
  7. Plus of course there's only two prongs for the US part of the adaptor - no grounding one. That seems worrying.

    (Why won't it let me edit posts?)
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives External Hard Drive Converter Samsung Storage Product