Sign in with
Your question

External hard drive adaptor?

Last response: in Storage
September 15, 2010 7:15:27 PM

Hi.

I'm in the UK but am looking to move to the US sometime next year. I wish to bring my Samsung external hard drive* with me because it has all of my data on and is quite simply invaluable. Now, I know that laptops only need an adaptor - not a voltage converter - to work from these two countries, but I have no idea about external HDs. Can anyone point me to some help on the matter? Do I need a converter, or just an adaptor? I don't wish to fry it and lose everything.

Many thanks.

*If it matters, it's this HD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Story-Station-1-5TB-Ext...
September 15, 2010 7:21:01 PM

Sorry to reply to my own post but it won't let me edit the original for some reason (?).

I just wanted to add: I don't know if it's relevant (I really don't know much about this sort of thing, as you can probably tell!) but the cable with the plug at the end has a black box just before it. Is that relevant?
a c 109 G Storage
September 16, 2010 1:48:08 AM

what Voltage does it show on the power supply?

100V - 230V?
Related resources
a c 109 G Storage
September 16, 2010 4:22:10 PM

Yep that should work
September 16, 2010 5:13:20 PM

Excellent. I know in an ideal world it would be better to buy a new system over there but things just haven't worked out that way, so as I say I've bought two of those adaptors - one for the laptop and one for the external HD.

Thanks for your help!
September 17, 2010 12:14:52 AM

Oh, incidentally, does anyone know if it's safe to use these adaptors for long periods of time? I mean the external HD will only be plugged in when I want to back-up, but obviously the laptop will be plugged in quite a lot (almost continuously).
September 17, 2010 1:03:01 AM

Plus of course there's only two prongs for the US part of the adaptor - no grounding one. That seems worrying.

(Why won't it let me edit posts?)
!