Your question

Can't get my CPU past 3.4 GHz

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 29, 2010 5:09:54 PM

Hey forum!

I recently bought a H50 cooler for my i7 920 and received it yesterday. Then I followed this guide, http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-..., and it all went really well until I reached the stage where you had to change the BCLK to 181.
Then my PC would not reboot and I tried several times to increase my CPU VCore, but nothing worked. I changed my BCLK down to 165 and that seems to be the highest overclock I can reach. 170 didn't work either.

My current BIOS looks like right now:

Advanced CPU Features:
CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [20x]
Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech ................. [Disable]
CPU Cores Enabled .......................... [All]
CPU Multi Threading ..........................[Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................. [Disabled]
C3/C6/C7 State Support ................... [Disabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor ........................ [Enabled]
CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled]
Virtualization Technology ................. [Enabled]
Bi-Directional PROCHOT .................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
QPI Link Speed ..............................[AUTO] 5.94GHz
Uncore Frequency ..........................[AUTO] 3300MHz
Isonchronous Frequency ...............[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
Base Clock (BCLK) Control .................. [Enabled]
BCLK Frequency (MHz) .........................[165]
PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ............. [100]
C.I.A.2..................................... [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control:
CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800]
PCI Express Clock Drive ................ [900]
CPU Clock Skew ............................ [0]
IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0]

Advanced DRAM Features:
Performance Enhance .......................... [Turbo]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........... [ 8]
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) ............. [Quick]
DRAM Frequency ............................ 1320Mhz

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
CAS Latency Time ...........................[9]
tRCD ......................................[9]
tRP ........................................[9]
tRAS ......................................[24]
CR..........................................[1]
B2B........................................[AUTO]

Advanced Voltage Control:
Load Line Calibration .................... [Enabled]
CPU Vcore ......................................[1.200]
QPI/VTT Voltage 1.175v .....................[AUTO]
CPU PLL 1.800v ..............................[1.80]
PCIE 1.500v ...................................[AUTO]
QPI PLL 1.100v ..............................[AUTO]
IOH Core 1.100v ............................[AUTO]
ICH I/O 1.500v ...............................[AUTO]
ICH Core 1.1v ................................[AUTO]

DRAM
DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. [1.500]
DRAM Termination 0.750v.......... [AUTO]
Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[AUTO]
Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[AUTO]
Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[AUTO]
Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v ........[AUTO]
Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v ........[AUTO]
Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v ........[AUTO]

I'm using a Push-Pull config with my H50 using a Noctua NF-P12 120mm fan.

System specs:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.48 GHz OC
Palit GTX285 2GB
6GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333Mhz
SoundBlaster Audigy 4
ENERGON 750W
Corsair H50 Watercooler
Noctua NF-P12 120mm Fan
Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 1TB
STECH Simple Drive USB 750 GB External Harddrive
Windows 7 64-bit

Would be really excellent if you had any advice to how I could get it up higher. Would like to reach up to at least 3.8 GHz.
It must be said though that this is my first overclock and I am a bit of a noob, and I really dont know much about BIOS.

Thanks guys! :) 

Malte

More about : cpu past ghz

a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 29, 2010 5:27:35 PM

You need to increase Vcore and VTT. Try something like 1.35 Vcore 1.25 VTT

Also those RAM timings are really high for the speed you're at.

Also, why did you disable C1E, EIST, and C States? Those are excellent features to have enabled. They have a slight impact on stability, sometimes, but you're not really pushing the boundaries here. I suppose for the time being keep them off, but if you get a stable OC you're happy with, turn them on and see if it works.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 29, 2010 5:35:07 PM

wolfram23 said:
You need to increase Vcore and VTT. Try something like 1.35 Vcore 1.25 VTT

Also those RAM timings are really high for the speed you're at.

Also, why did you disable C1E, EIST, and C States? Those are excellent features to have enabled. They have a slight impact on stability, sometimes, but you're not really pushing the boundaries here. I suppose for the time being keep them off, but if you get a stable OC you're happy with, turn them on and see if it works.

I already tried that and it didn't work. :( 

I have posted this problem at another forum for quite a while and now I posted my problem here because the previous forum they couldn't solve it. :/ 

I was told to turn C1E, EIST, and C States off if I wanted to overclock.. Didn't work though.
Related resources
September 29, 2010 5:44:33 PM

It is possible that you need to update your bios. I could not get past 3.5 on my mobo until I contaced MSI and got a beta bios which low and behold took me there easily. Your mobo might even have a non-beta bios that is newer and better.
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 29, 2010 5:58:03 PM

That's a good idea to make sure you have the most up to date BIOS.

As for the C1E, EIST, C States - from my personal experience I only needed to disable them when going over ~4ghz. I'm currently sitting at 177 base clock, with all those enabled and Turbo Boost enabled on my i5 750. Load temps are 70C
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 29, 2010 6:43:01 PM

nativeson8803 said:
It is possible that you need to update your bios. I could not get past 3.5 on my mobo until I contaced MSI and got a beta bios which low and behold took me there easily. Your mobo might even have a non-beta bios that is newer and better.

Yes, I thought of that too right, so I downloaded a couple of updates from GigaBytes website and installed them using the .exe file.. I am not sure if that was the right thing to do, because I've heard that you can flash the BIOS aswell.. So i'm not really sure if I did it right. :/ 
September 29, 2010 9:53:11 PM

I meant that you need to flash the BIOS which is a bit tricky if you haven't done it before. There is reason to take extra caution, but it is worth a try. You will need a usb key and that is all, but perhaps you should find a guide and print it out to use while you do it. Gigabyte's site will likely have the latest bios or I'm sure their forums will have a thread about it.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 11:23:01 AM

nativeson8803 said:
I meant that you need to flash the BIOS which is a bit tricky if you haven't done it before. There is reason to take extra caution, but it is worth a try. You will need a usb key and that is all, but perhaps you should find a guide and print it out to use while you do it. Gigabyte's site will likely have the latest bios or I'm sure their forums will have a thread about it.

I tried this now with Gigabyte's program @BIOS. Downloaded a couple BIOS updates from their website and used updated my BIOS using the program. It prompted for restarted after each update up, but I just chose restart later and restarted after installing all the updates. (First mistake??) After this it wont reboot. :( 
I tried resetting my CMOS countless times now, and when I'm asked what to load i have just chosen 'Default' and 'Best Good Known', but none of them work. I just end up looking at 'Verifying DMI Pool Data ...................' endlessly. :(  :( 
September 30, 2010 3:29:02 PM

I don't know man, hopefully somebody with more expertise will be able to help you. Unfortunately, flashing a BIOS could potentially be harmful to your computer, and that's why I told you to get a guide and follow it carefully. Are you seeing the bios at all, or is it just going to the prompt for "Default" and "Best Good"?

I think somebody will probably come along and give you more advice, try to be as specific as possible with the details (what BIOS you used, etc., what process for flashing...), I do know that if done improperly you may have to RMA your board because I think the manufacturer can only fix it (but they probably will be able to.).

Best of luck, let us know how things go.
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 3:41:07 PM

Looks like you'll have to load up a bootable USB stick, with the BIOS on it and if needed a flash tool as well. Boot off the USB and reflash the BIOS properly

I don't know what you mean by "installing all the updates" but you DEFINITELY have to reboot after a BIOS flash first and foremost.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 3:44:14 PM

nativeson8803 said:
I don't know man, hopefully somebody with more expertise will be able to help you. Unfortunately, flashing a BIOS could potentially be harmful to your computer, and that's why I told you to get a guide and follow it carefully. Are you seeing the bios at all, or is it just going to the prompt for "Default" and "Best Good"?

I think somebody will probably come along and give you more advice, try to be as specific as possible with the details (what BIOS you used, etc., what process for flashing...), I do know that if done improperly you may have to RMA your board because I think the manufacturer can only fix it (but they probably will be able to.).

Best of luck, let us know how things go.

I sorted it out luckily. It turns out that the only thing wrong was that when BIOS was reset it was set to boot the wrong harddrive. So I just changed the priority and now it boots properly again. It didn't do any good flashing the BIOS though.
I tried again with 181 BLCK and VCore all the way up to 1,35v and with VTT set to 1,25v. Same thing happend. No boot.
So im still back at square one with my top clock at 3,46 GHz with Vcore to 1,2v. :( 
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 4:29:28 PM

Take a smaller step... Try 170 base clock. Then 175. See what happens.

Also, voltage will vary a lot if you have Load Line Calibration on or off. That makes a world of difference.

IMO, LLC should be ON for a turbo boosted OC. The nominal voltage will be higher but the load voltage is less. LLC OFF is good for non turbo boosted OCs.

As an example, at 177 base clock with turbo on LLC off, I have my nominal voltage at 1.38V, but load voltage is only 1.29 IIRC, maybe 1.3. But the temps are also at 70C, whereas before I had LLC on for the same OC at 1.33V, and temps were 72-74 or so.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 5:08:08 PM

wolfram23 said:
Take a smaller step... Try 170 base clock. Then 175. See what happens.

Also, voltage will vary a lot if you have Load Line Calibration on or off. That makes a world of difference.

IMO, LLC should be ON for a turbo boosted OC. The nominal voltage will be higher but the load voltage is less. LLC OFF is good for non turbo boosted OCs.

As an example, at 177 base clock with turbo on LLC off, I have my nominal voltage at 1.38V, but load voltage is only 1.29 IIRC, maybe 1.3. But the temps are also at 70C, whereas before I had LLC on for the same OC at 1.33V, and temps were 72-74 or so.

I can't seem to be able to turn off Turbo Boost after I flashed my BIOS. :/  But I then tried to turn off LLC with VCore at 1,35v and 1,38v + VTT at 1,25v and tried the same with LLC turned on aswell at 170 and 174 BCLK. Nothing changed. :( 
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 5:22:39 PM

Disabling C states will not allow turbo to run, same with disabling EIST so... Having them on, if you choose the 21x multiplier or Auto multiplier with allow turbo to be on but if you manually choose anything else it shouldn't have turbo.

So, what is happening now?

The voltage should be enough to allow it to boot, so the problem is either RAM or something else entirely IMO.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 5:47:30 PM

wolfram23 said:
Disabling C states will not allow turbo to run, same with disabling EIST so... Having them on, if you choose the 21x multiplier or Auto multiplier with allow turbo to be on but if you manually choose anything else it shouldn't have turbo.

So, what is happening now?

The voltage should be enough to allow it to boot, so the problem is either RAM or something else entirely IMO.

Well, the C-states and EIST is disabled and I manually set the multiplier to 21x. It's just strange cause I could easily turn off Turbo Boost before, but nevermind.

Well whats happening is the same as before. After saving CMOS and exiting it does not boot. It simply shows a black screen.

I keep thinking it's a problem with my RAM which is 1333 MHz, but i don't know .. :/ 
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 7:00:15 PM

When the screen is blank, have you let it sit like that for a min or two, or just gone and rebooted?

For whatever reason, I've had a blank screen through the POST and then it magically appears at the login screen like normal and works fine, and usually doesn't do it again.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 7:13:40 PM

wolfram23 said:
When the screen is blank, have you let it sit like that for a min or two, or just gone and rebooted?

For whatever reason, I've had a blank screen through the POST and then it magically appears at the login screen like normal and works fine, and usually doesn't do it again.

Hmm.. sounds wierd.. But i'll give it a try for like 10 mins. That should be more than enough.

I'll try and run with 170 BCLK, 21x multi, 1,35-8v Vcore and 1,25 VTT with LLC turned on and off.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 7:59:33 PM

Okay, so I tried leaving the computer for about 10 mins with the blank screen. Nothing happend though. :( 

You sure it's not my ram?? :/ 
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 8:11:51 PM

Well it could be... what RAM do you have, exactly? If you have model number or maybe a newegg link that'd be good.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 8:29:33 PM

wolfram23 said:
Well it could be... what RAM do you have, exactly? If you have model number or maybe a newegg link that'd be good.

It's 3x2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333Mhz. Link here, http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/tr3x6g1333c9.pdf

a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 8:47:47 PM

Hmm and when you set it to 1600mhz, what timings? Looks like it'll have to be 10-10-10-30...

Anyway, first thing to check if it's RAM or not is to leave RAM at 1.5V, increase the base clock to whatever, and drop the RAM multiplier. Just try 6x to see if it'll boot (so, 1020mhz. It should work at 1400mhz CL9 too but just try this first).
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 9:20:48 PM

wolfram23 said:
Hmm and when you set it to 1600mhz, what timings? Looks like it'll have to be 10-10-10-30...

Anyway, first thing to check if it's RAM or not is to leave RAM at 1.5V, increase the base clock to whatever, and drop the RAM multiplier. Just try 6x to see if it'll boot (so, 1020mhz. It should work at 1400mhz CL9 too but just try this first).

So I ran the DRAM Timings at 9-9-9-24, 6.0x and 8.0x ram multiplier at both 1050 Mhz (6.0x) and 1400 Mhz (8.0x) with BCLK 175 and Vcore 1,3v. Didn't make a difference. Should I have changed the timings to 10-10-10-30? Was unsure about it.
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 9:30:21 PM

In theory it should have worked at 1050 CL 9 since it's rated for 1333 CL9.

I guess the problem lies elsewhere. I suppose it might just be a limitation of the mobo... Have you tried using the slower QPI speed?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 9:55:13 PM

Re-flash using QFlash in the bios. Never flash in the OS.
I tried flashing my old Gigabyte 965p-s3 from the OS (first time I ever tried it) and it corrupted the bios chip so I had to send it back and have it repaired.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 10:31:03 PM

wolfram23 said:
In theory it should have worked at 1050 CL 9 since it's rated for 1333 CL9.

I guess the problem lies elsewhere. I suppose it might just be a limitation of the mobo... Have you tried using the slower QPI speed?

No. What should i try and it set to?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 10:32:12 PM

d1rtyju1c3 said:
Re-flash using QFlash in the bios. Never flash in the OS.
I tried flashing my old Gigabyte 965p-s3 from the OS (first time I ever tried it) and it corrupted the bios chip so I had to send it back and have it repaired.

My BIOS was succesfully updated though. @BIOS is a program developed by Gigabyte for this purpose, so I doubt that it will corrupt the motherboard.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 1:34:24 AM

Trust me it does I have done it with @BIOS. It is just like the overclocking utilities it is not recommended to do so through the OS, not by Gigabyte I know but ask and most people will tell you to do it through the BIOS.
I'm just saying it has happened to me.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 11:20:47 AM

d1rtyju1c3 said:
Trust me it does I have done it with @BIOS. It is just like the overclocking utilities it is not recommended to do so through the OS, not by Gigabyte I know but ask and most people will tell you to do it through the BIOS.
I'm just saying it has happened to me.

Yea all right, but I'll try and do it through BIOS next time I flash then. :)  Just sounds a hell of a lot more complicated. :/ 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 12:28:57 PM

It really isnt that bad after you do it once. It is pretty easy.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 7:32:42 PM

Anyone got more suggestions??? I'm still at square one with this pickle. :( 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 7:52:46 PM

wolfram23 said:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2009/03/1...

They're using 1.475 Vcore for 4ghz here... Maybe just keep pushing that Vcore up?

I'm wondering tho if the mobo is just a bad one.

Wow. That's gotta produce high temps then. :o 

But I dont get it, cause I can run my current 3,46 GHz clock with only 1,1v.. Just seems wrong that I should require so much more for just like 3,5 GHz even.. :/ 

Maybe. I hope not. It's only like 7-8 months old, and I haven't had any problems with it so far..
October 2, 2010 11:56:20 AM

Sorry, I forgot to confirm my account so it was deleted. I'm back again though.
!