ASRock A790GXH/128 requires a reset to get started from a cold boot.

sinclair-zx81

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I just got an ASRock A790GXH/128 to go with my Phenom II X3 720 (the 4th core unlocked perfectly and is very stable). The system is working fine once it boots and has had not issues to speak of, but when I do a full shut down I have to hit the reset button to get it to start the next time I power it on. This seems pretty consistent, and after the reset is pushed it works normally. It's getting stuck before POST starts, or at least before the display get turns on. I'm using the same ram/HD from my old system and in addition to this MB I have an ASUS EAH4780 Dark Knight 1GB. Anyone seen anything like this? It's not really causing me any problems, it's just a bit annoying.

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Hi, I encouter the exact problem with an unlocked Sempron LE 140. I tweaked a bit and found out a solution by raising vcore a bit (i.e. from default 1.35v to 1.4v). It's still quite annoying, actually, since I won't be able to utilize Cool'n'Quiet with manual voltage tweaking.

My mobo is 780GMH, though. It must be something inherent to Asrock mobo?

Before you try to turn on the machine, pull the AC power cord out for 10 seconds. Plug it in. If the machine starts normally, you have a flaky PSU.

Flaky is good in a pie crust :) , not so good elsewhere. :(

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

thanks, I'll check it out as soon as I have a chance. I'm currently far away from that AMD machine (and wreaking havoc with an Intel, to boost :pt1cable: ). Your suggestion may be true 'cuz that machine is running on a generic PSU (I was kinda broke when I built that rig :kaola: ).

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I have no official facts to base this on, but I think it's the motherboard not supplying quite enough voltage on power on rather than the CPU.

Same thing happened to me, new motherboard and problem went away.
Problem also vanishes if you raise the Vcore in the BIOS. But new motherboard, lower vcore, no problem with cold starts.

Board I had the issue with was the P5P800 from Asus, I'm noticing quite a few Asus/Asrock cold start posts? or maybe it's my immagination.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I've got the ASRock M3A780GXH/128M and remember having the same issue, but it doesn't do it anymore. ACC, Vcore, multiplier, memory, power supply... could be any of those factors.

Powerboy88

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Hi, i got the same Problem with Asrock M3A785GMH/128M.

After cold start i have to push reset button several times to use the extra core. Then it runs perfectly with the unlocked core.
It is really annoying hopefully asrock will fix this in a new Bios Version.

Are the people having this error also, using only a 20pin atx connector?
I am using 20pin atx connector and 12 volt connector.
Would be interesting to know if somebody with a good PSU and 24pin atx connector has the same error.

foo_04

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Same problem with Asrock M3A790GXH128M and a Phenom II X4 955BE.
At stock speeds it seems to always cold boot but as soon I overclock the CPU only a little bit (100-200MHz) I have the "cold boot issue".
I tried for testing 1,45V and 1,5V vcore and 1,15V and 1,2V NB voltage but no improvement.
More memory voltage or less memory speed seems not to effect it.

I'm guessing it is my 520W PSU (be quiet dark power 520W, 24pin ATX + 8pin 12V ATX), which maybe is in the first seconds not ready to deliver the power. But I can't test with a different PSU...

Is there somebody with the same issue and a really powerful PSU?
That would help to know to find what is triggering it.

foo_04

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
After loading the Bios 1.50 2days ago, the problem seems to have disappeared.
According Asrock it fixes: Modify code for "EUP function"