Clonning HDD

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Software
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
a c 112 G Storage
September 16, 2010 1:22:04 AM

I have to upgrade the SATA HDD of a Dell computer since it is running out of space.

Last time I used the software that came with the HDD but is lost the permissions and access rights to some of the DIRs.

Is there any software someone can recommend that will just straight copy everything.

More about : clonning hdd

a b G Storage
September 16, 2010 6:02:04 AM

Seagate and WD provide free tools for (cloning) transfering data from the old drive to the new one that can be downloaded, I don't know about the other makers.
m
l
a c 112 G Storage
September 16, 2010 6:38:22 AM

It was the WD software I used last time that I run into problem with.

Any other software that anybody can think of?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 16, 2010 8:11:01 AM

I use Acronis - about $50, but you can still download a trial version,I think.

I think that WD has a custom version available free on their website.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 16, 2010 2:15:55 PM

+1 to Acronis. It's fast, it's easy, and it simply works.
m
l
September 17, 2010 6:07:52 AM

Clonezilla is open source and works great on just about everything I've thrown at it.

You can install it on a CD or flash drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 17, 2010 4:10:31 PM

I've used Acronis for years without issue. I think you should be able to find it for $20 - $30 if you look around.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
September 17, 2010 4:49:29 PM

What operating system??
Previous post have identified good options for XP and for Versions of Vista below the Business version Have used aconis to clone some OLD SCSI HDDs (W/ Windows 3.11) using win XP.

For win 7 and vista bus (or higher) a good backup utility is included. Under control panel select system, backup. select image your "C" drive and save image to DVDs or a usb HDD. When done it will prompt you to create a bootable restor disk. Worked great, screwed up my win 64 "C" drive and did a restore from image file - Only lost a few emails received after doing the image file.
m
l
September 20, 2010 4:02:02 PM

huron said:
I've used Acronis for years without issue. I think you should be able to find it for $20 - $30 if you look around.

Is the Acronis True Image WD Edition a good one as the regular Acronis True Image version.

Or should I just use Paragon Drive Copy™ 10 Personal SE.

thanks.
m
l
September 21, 2010 4:34:40 PM

Clonezilla is free as it is part of the GNU license.
It has beginner and expert modes.
It is a pre-OS boot style imaging program; it will not run in Windows if that's important.
m
l
September 21, 2010 4:57:28 PM

I used the Acronis True Image WD Edition and worked real good. As I bought a 500GB WD HD to clone my 160GB fujitsi HD.
Was going to use the Paragon as I got that free on a giveaway but saw that there was a lot of recommendation of the Acronis so I used that one.
m
l
a c 112 G Storage
September 21, 2010 6:30:52 PM

I used the Acronis True Image WD Edition and it worked great. However you have to have a WD drive for it to work. It is $40 for the full version which might be worth it.

thanks for everybody's help
m
l
!