I have to upgrade the SATA HDD of a Dell computer since it is running out of space.

Last time I used the software that came with the HDD but is lost the permissions and access rights to some of the DIRs.

Is there any software someone can recommend that will just straight copy everything.

What operating system??
Previous post have identified good options for XP and for Versions of Vista below the Business version Have used aconis to clone some OLD SCSI HDDs (W/ Windows 3.11) using win XP.

For win 7 and vista bus (or higher) a good backup utility is included. Under control panel select system, backup. select image your "C" drive and save image to DVDs or a usb HDD. When done it will prompt you to create a bootable restor disk. Worked great, screwed up my win 64 "C" drive and did a restore from image file - Only lost a few emails received after doing the image file.

lmanlo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

Is the Acronis True Image WD Edition a good one as the regular Acronis True Image version.

Or should I just use Paragon Drive Copy™ 10 Personal SE.

thanks.

lmanlo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I used the Acronis True Image WD Edition and worked real good. As I bought a 500GB WD HD to clone my 160GB fujitsi HD.
Was going to use the Paragon as I got that free on a giveaway but saw that there was a lot of recommendation of the Acronis so I used that one.