Sign in with
Your question

Random BSOD after overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
September 29, 2010 9:07:24 PM

I have an i5-750 on a GA-P55A-UD6 with 8gb of GSkill ddr3 1333 that I have overclocked to a BLCK of 160. I am using the XMP profile of the ram and it is running at 1600 with 9-9-9-24 timings. I have undervolted the processor to 1.23v. No other voltage adjustments have been made. I can run a ton of benchmarks(3dmark06,3dmark vantage, pcmark vantage, furmark, IBT for 15 times, P95 for and 1.5 hours) and have 0 issues. I can let the computer goto sleep and it wakes up no problems. But i will get a random BSOD on reboot? Any idea's?

Erik

More about : random bsod overclock

a c 100 K Overclocking
September 29, 2010 9:49:18 PM

Hmm... when you run IBT, what setting are you on? Try it at 4gb RAM usage and see if it still passes 15 runs. Also, P95 isn't going to tell much unless you run it at least 4hrs stable. Large FFT's are great to focus on CPU stability

Also, at what part of the reboot is it BSODing? Have you checked what the error code is? Could be a RAM issue. I know you enabled XMP but you might want to do a Memtest 86+.
m
l
September 29, 2010 10:03:46 PM

When I run IBT I just leave everything as is. I think it is set to standard. When I run P95 I always run the blend test to include more memory usage? Should I just do large FFT's? After login when the desktop first comes up is when I get the BSOD. I have'nt checked the error code. Should I not enable XMP and just change my timinings to keep it at the current ration (10x?) The ram is originally 1333 w/9-9-9-24 timinins. Thanks for your help.
Erik
m
l
Related resources
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 29, 2010 10:27:17 PM

Ideally, go find the proper timings for your RAM from the manufacturers. Then you can set your base clock to 160, the RAM multi can stay at 10x, you'll probably need 1.65V DIMM and check the timings... default timings don't tell you anything because it's the JEDEC spec, not the RAM spec.

Aside from that, IBT isn't as useful at the default setting. The more RAM usage you throw at it the more sensitive it is to errors. I though I was stable running it at high, but at very high I got errors which I've since fixed... so yeah, run IBT at a higher stress level for sure.

P95, Large FFT = CPU stability, Small FFT = CPU stability but slightly RAM dependant, and then Blend is basically like a slow version of IBT, as it is a lot of CPU and RAM tested.
m
l
September 29, 2010 10:42:35 PM

The listed timinings are the same from GSkill. 1333, 1.5V, 9-9-9-24. What does XMP do exactly? I thought when I changed it to that it changed my memory speed to 1600. When I overclocked before I changed to XMP the ram (underclocked?) to like 12800...my numbers may be a bit off. I am going from memory as I am at work :o  If I change the memory multiplier to 10x then i get the 1600 speed. Is that what is getting me?
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 5:29:25 AM

wolfram23 said:

P95, Large Small FFT = CPU stability, Small Large FFT = CPU stability but slightly RAM dependant, and then Blend is basically like a slow version of IBT, as it is a lot of CPU and RAM tested.

m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 5:32:09 AM

^My bad ><

I would have double checked, but I don't exactly have P95 on my shitty Toshiba laptop-turned-desktop at work lol
m
l
September 30, 2010 1:50:02 PM

So I re-ran IBT for 20 cycles at the high stress level using 4GB of ram with no errors. I also ran P95 for 5 hours with no errors. Ram memtest86 until complete with 0 errors. I guess I will just wait and see? Since I increase my vcore the last time to 1.23xxx I dont think I have had a BSOD, I may have just been undervolted too much?

Erik
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 3:35:57 PM

Hmm yeah I guess it's stable. If it's stable at what you're calling "under volted" it shouldn't really BSOD. But it's possible that the voltage was too low I guess.

Maybe you should run a disk check for parity errors as well as registry cleaner, since the BSOD could have been a software issue or something unrelated to the OC.
m
l
September 30, 2010 3:50:25 PM

Well since stock the default voltage is 1.25v at stock speeds I would guess that OC at 1.23v is udervolted right? I would think that this could cause the same instability as OC without raising the voltage. I assumed since typically OC requires additional voltage requierments, Being able to OC and reduce the voltage and remain stable is a win/win right? This is my first OC so I am making a few assumptions. I have been a long time lurker and am pretty savy however this has been my first OC attempt.

Erik
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 4:04:56 PM

Well, generally speaking when OCing you shouldn't really compare to stock voltage. Stock voltage is, generally, on the high end of the spectrum for default speeds just to ensure stability. Now you've raised the speed (more voltage dependant) and then lowered voltage... but, you're also apparently stable in stress tests. It's odd that it would be stable in stress but then cause a BSOD on restart.

I suggest what you do is reset to defaults, and then manually set 160 base clock. Leave the voltages on Auto for now, turn LLC off, leave turbo on.

According to your info, the RAM is rated for 1333mhz CL9 at 1.5V? What is odd is that it has XMP... Before you go and reset the BIOS, check what the values are for timings and DIMM voltage. I'm willing to bet that XMP (btw, "extreme memory profile") is using 1.65V, 1600mhz CL9. So if that's right, then manually set those values (CL9 means 9-9-9-27 timings. You might want to try the command rate at 2 first, and if it's stable maybe try 1).
m
l
!