CPU and memory upgrade

Hammer_757

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I'm planning to upgrade my CPU and memory (GPU and motherboard were recently upgraded).
I'm researching my options and thought I would get some other opinions. As you can see the Mobo and GPU are not high end stuff but are good budget gaming items. Besides CPU recommendations how much and what type of memory should I get. Ill buy as much as needed but I don't want to spend money on minimal performance gains.

> Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4

> Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ @ 2100 MHz

> Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )[DDR2-800]

> Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 4850

> Hard Disk : ST3500320AS (500 GB)

Thanks
Robert

Your motherboard is a really nice piece of kit .

For more gaming power install a Phenom ll 940 quad core $229
or AM3 Phenom X3 720 $150

Your RAM will be fine if you are using XP or 32 bit Vista . Only add more if you have a 64 bit OS . If you do then a 4 gig kit of 1066 MHz memory will get things moving a long a bit

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
as said you got a nice mobo so I have no idea why your dissing on it.

For memory get 2x2gb of OCZ platinum's they have lower latency's than reaper's and will perform better and are also cheaper.

For CPU get a 720 BE since you'll save $80 that you can put towards another set of ram if you intend to use the pc for a long time or a better cooling system.

Hammer_757

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009

I didn't mean to come off as dissing my brand new mobo. I just wanted anyone offering an opinion to understand it is a budget system and not high dollar (or pounds or euros or...). Fortunately these day you can build a nice system on a budget...

thanks for both replies

theres that whole culture thing about people needing the latest and greatest . I think theyre just compensating for some inadequacy buy waving their credit cards .
The sweet spot for PC users is what was fabulous about 6 months ago . It does the job , its way cheaper , and you get value for money .

Its good to see you havent bought in to that . I like your mb , and I just checked on newegg . The X3 720 is $5 cheaper since I posted last time .

Hammer_757

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I just wanted to follow up that I went with a AMD Phenom X3 720 and 4gig of RAM. I am very happy with the current system the few games I have are maxed out (or nearly so) now and running very smooth. I wait 6 months and then play with overclocking and it will be new again :)

Thanks for the sound advice