squallheart

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Ok so finally i'm doing or getting a new pc upgrading from the old one I have. The new specs for the pc are going to be this

Nzxt Guardian 921 Gaming Tower Case
[CrossFire] MSI DKA790GX AMD 790GX CrossFire Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-E MB
Ikonik Vulcan 850 Power Supply Quad SLI Ready
[== Quad Core ==] AMD Phenom™ II X4 940 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
AMD Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit
8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module
ATI Radeon HD 4870-X2 DDR5 2 GB
1 TB HARD DRIV
16x DVD-ROM Drive
Sony Dual Format/Double Layer 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive
Creative Lab Sound Blaster Audigy SE

Total will be $1,490.00

Now I am having this built so im not bothering to do it. Now they do have all the vista operating systems listed both 32 and 64 bit. For xp it just says home and professional but does not state if its 32 or 64. I have always stuck with xp because for me its stable and have heard many bad rumors and criticism for vista so i stay clear from that. I do want to get the best moneys worth or what this build will handle like a breeze or nothing. Note the system will have 8gb of memory so i want an os that will recognize it and have adobe premiere running smoothly i do a lot of video and stuff. Hopefully windows 7 will be stable but i need something to hold me till then. Also note on the pricing list where the pc is being built vista is cheaper than xp which i find funny
Thanks in advance for your input.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Drop the sound card unless you need the output's, the onboard sound will be just as good otherwise.

What make is the water cooling kit because anything under $130 unless it's a compact is going to do worse than a high-end air cooler.

8GB of ram isn't worth it unless you are future proofing it for a long time ahead.

Also what make PSU is it because a 550w corsair will be better than a no name or rosewill power supply.

And you haven't put a mobo on your list.

I reccomend you also get them to put a motherboard in as well . This can improve performance 100%

8 gig of RAM isnt worth it . 4 gig of 1066 MHz ram is all you will need . Phenom can use the bandwidth so dont buy 800MHz .

You wont even need 4 gig unless you use a 64 bit OS . XP 64 is discontinued , so your choice is Vista Home premium 64 bit .
Or if theres no critical information maybe you can get buy on the windows beta

squallheart

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I am debating whether this would be a better system

Intel Core i7 920 CPU
Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported MB
3 GB DDR3-1333 Memory
500 GB 7200 RPM SATA-II HDD
NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 512MB Video Card
20x Double Layer DVD+/-RW
7.1 Channel 3D Surround Sound
iBUYPOWER Subwoofer Speakers
10/100/1000 Network LAN
Nzxt Guardian 921 w/ NVIDIA Side Window

might edit out the video card for 512 in sli mode
Windows VISTA Home Premium 64-Bit

Random0808

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009

Question, how did you go from a 4870x2 to a 9800GT? That's some drop in performance IMO

squallheart

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
lol yes i know im very confused now I just havent kept up with the technology so much work that I don't know what is best at performing now Phenom II or I7's, Nvidia, ATI technology is advancing so fast

Inktfish

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
The core I7 920i
The P6T as said
Get 6gb of DDR3 memory
Harddrive seems fine
Get a 4870 1024MB(1 gig)
random DVD thingie
I assume the speakers have no problem with the onboard sound of the mobo
onboard lan aswell me thinks
and a good computer case.

That's a nice setup, see what you do with it. :)

LOL dude the OP has been edited to include it

as to whether or not to build Ci7 instead . well Ci7 is the most powerful processor , but it actually performs worse with single gfx cards than other cheaper processors do . If you have a big budget for gfx cards like 2, 3 or 4 top end cards then i7 makes some sense . For everyone building with a single card , or even a couple of 4870's in Xfire the Phenom ll 940 does the job better and cheaper .

If the OP prices components it will be FAR cheaper than buying the built system hes describing . No doubt if he had an i7 system assembled it would cost more again