My Win2k doesn't shutdown? Anyone?

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Hi,

I don't know why, but my wiondows 2000 doesn't shutdown, it just hangs on the blue background after saying wiondows is saving settings etc. I actually have to press the power switch to force it off. I don't get scandisks on reboot so I figure it's saving settings just fine, just that I can't restart or shutdown without having to press the buttons on the case.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this might happen, I understand there could LOADS of reasons, but I just the main ones might help me a bit.

Thanks a lot.

-----------------------------------
Don't extract the urine.

G

How long have you waited for it to shutdown? It may take about 60 to 70 seconds to shutdown under certain conditions where the registry cannot be unloaded. Also, check the Application log in the Event viewer for error reports.

G

Take a look at the post from xazos79 titled - "system won't shut down" There are some good suggestions and solutions you might want to try.
Good luck.
D..

G

Like the other fella said, it may take about 60 to 70 seconds to shutdown compleatly. Also, check the Event viewer for any error reports. This last possibility may sound a little flakey but unload your antivirus, then try to shut down again. Windows 2000 is quite picky about what virus scan you may be using... I have seen this same problem you are experiencing on laptops with Norton loaded on them. The only way to get them to shutdown compleatly was to remove that version of Norton. They also would not restart either.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
All good suggestions here, but check this simple one real quick:

Make sure power management is setup correctly in your bios.

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
had the same exact problem.....nothing solved it..except when i tried reinstalling the chipset and ATA storage drivers....

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Late reply I know :( But only just got round to reading it now (forgot about the post until I actually tried restarting yesterday :p )

ANyway I'll follow your valuable pieces of advice, thanks ofr all your help, I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks.

H.

-----------------------------------
Don't extract the urine.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
You probably have an IRQ conflict. Open up system information and see which devices are sharing IRQs. Then trying disable some of the sharing devices and see if that works.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
also, try and physically remove cards one by one, to see if one might be causing this. on my new mobo i found out that with the firewire card i have installed, it will not shutdown, it will just reboot itself. took out the firewire and shuts down perfectly now.