Various Windows programs will not run

My son's computer has several Windows XP programs that will not run.
Here is a list of several of them.

Windows Explorer - double-click it and I get an hourglass that lasts
for about three seconds and then nothing (although it looks like the
screen refreshes).

Control Panel - when I access it from the start menu or from the run
menu I get an hourglass that lasts for about three seconds and then
nothing (although it looks like the screen refreshes).

Any program with a .cpl extension - click it from within the control
panel section of the start menu (control panel doesn't actually open,
but it does expand and show its contents) I get an hourglass that
lasts for about three seconds and then nothing (although it looks like
the screen refreshes).

Internet Explorer - double-click it and I get an hourglass that lasts
for about three seconds and then nothing (although it looks like the
screen refreshes).

MSconfig - type it into the run command and I get an hourglass that
lasts for about three seconds and then nothing (although it looks like
the screen refreshes).

Therre may be more programs, but I have not tried them all.

Also, I have run several virus programs and Spybot's Search and
Destroy - all to no avail (although a lot of spyware was deleted).

I have tried creating and deleting numerous admin accounts - but to no
avail.

Oddly enough, non-Microsoft programs all seem to run fine, including
AOL, Netscape, Napster, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi

Try the following two programs as well - to check for any other spyware that
might be on your system:

Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
CWShredder - http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Brian VanPelt" <bvanpelt@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
| My son's computer has several Windows XP programs that will not run.
| Here is a list of several of them.
|
| Windows Explorer - double-click it and I get an hourglass that lasts
| for about three seconds and then nothing (although it looks like the
| screen refreshes).
|
| Control Panel - when I access it from the start menu or from the run
| menu I get an hourglass that lasts for about three seconds and then
| nothing (although it looks like the screen refreshes).
|
| Any program with a .cpl extension - click it from within the control
| panel section of the start menu (control panel doesn't actually open,
| but it does expand and show its contents) I get an hourglass that
| lasts for about three seconds and then nothing (although it looks like
| the screen refreshes).
|
| Internet Explorer - double-click it and I get an hourglass that lasts
| for about three seconds and then nothing (although it looks like the
| screen refreshes).
|
| MSconfig - type it into the run command and I get an hourglass that
| lasts for about three seconds and then nothing (although it looks like
| the screen refreshes).
|
| Therre may be more programs, but I have not tried them all.
|
| Also, I have run several virus programs and Spybot's Search and
| Destroy - all to no avail (although a lot of spyware was deleted).
|
| I have tried creating and deleting numerous admin accounts - but to no
| avail.
|
| Oddly enough, non-Microsoft programs all seem to run fine, including
| AOL, Netscape, Napster, etc.
|
| Does anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate any input.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Brian

Ad-Aware did the trick. Everything appears to work now.

Thank you,

Brian