Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I have an AMD 64 x2 5400+ which is 2.8ghz. I have 4 GB of Ram and an ATI Radeon Sapphire 4870 which is 1gb. I want to know what settings i could run Crysis at if i were to get it? I do not overclock because i am unsure about the overvolting business and would prefer to have a processor which is good enough without having to be overclocked to reach a higher perfromance. But my motherboard restricts my processor to 65 watts. Would it be possible to run Crysis at high settings while getting a good FPS, also i have windows Vista 32 bit to. Is a dual core processor which is higher in frequency better than a quad or tripple core at a lower ghz speed, that both run at 65 watts?

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008

You just insulted ever single overclocker out there by calling them "stupid".

Why would anyone want to help you?

Zenthar

Distinguished
-1 For social skill and openness of mind, many people OC and have different reason to do so.

Anyway, Crysis really isn't CPU-bound, so your 4870 should allow you to play Crysis at High setting with 30-40FPS @ 1680x1050 if you use DirectX 9 (really no point in using DirectX 10 with that game beside lowering FPS).

As for dual-core vs quad-core, it depends on the games; I know Supreme Commander and GTA IV gain some good FPS from having more cores.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

I have a Q9650 which I would consider a pretty decent component. I also have a Rampage Formula which is also pretty decent and I overclock. I would counter by saying that it is stupid to not try to get every bit of performance out of the money you spend regardless of the level of your components.

For future reference: Don't wander in somewhere and insult the very people your asking for help.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
O right so it's not really the processor that matters that much. I am getting a 6000+ now, so it's really completely down to the GPU? Thanks for help anyway.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Oh and it's not an insult, stand on your own two feat something little like that should not upset you. Lol i used to overclock my gpu, the old one but i got little out of it and my brother told me it was stupid because your making the transistors work faster than they should usually do which creates extra heat. But then i suppose for processors it's a different matter. My Bios doesn't allow me to overclock anyway, but the new motherboard will allow me to do so.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
But Directx 10 opens up the ultra high settings i heard, this is where Vista exceeds Xp, since you can't put Crysis on maximum settings on Xp. Only Directx 10 enables it. But then i'm sure there's other good games other than Crysis for instance Red Alert 3, which looks like it is quite demanding but plays well on low budget hardware. :)

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
You're a RETARD. Yeah, why don't go grow a pair and accept that. It's not an insult to you.

Do you know how ignorant your statement. You don't know me and I for one don't accept being called stupid because I overclock, from a stranger. You're grasping at straws trying to justify your statement. You should have just apologize about making that statement and moved on.

Zenthar

Distinguished
DirectX 10 mostly opens-up ultra-high REQUIREMENTS :p. You can probably find some web pages comparing high to ultra-high and the difference is minimal. Moreover, I think there are even ways to "fake" ultra-high using DirectX 10.

BTW, what resolution will you be playing at?

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
i don't have Crysis. But i want to know whether my computer would be able to play it at a good FPS if i were to get these computer components. It doesn't really need more than 4gb ram? What is the average FPS for Crysis anyway? Do most people not really reach above 30 to 40? And no thank you i am not a retard, if i was a retard i would be in an arm chair most likely and would find it very hard to conduct gramatically correct English sentences, i am polite usually, this is an exeption lol. Don't take it so seriously. Thanks for your help Zenithar btw.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Also as a requote you gentlemen

"I have an AMD 64 x2 5400+ which is 2.8ghz. I have 4 GB of Ram and an ATI Radeon Sapphire 4870 which is 1gb. I want to know what settings i could run Crysis at if i were to get it? I do not overclock partly becuase i am unsure about the overvolting business and would like to have good components which would not need to be overclocked to reach a high performance. But my motherboard restricts my processor to 65 watts. Would it be possible to run Crysis at high settings while getting a good FPS, also i have windows Vista 32 bit to. Is a dual core processor which is higher in frequency better than a quad or tripple core at a lower ghz speed, that both run at 65 watts?"

Is this more suitable as a paragraph?

Zenthar

Distinguished
The 5400+ would be enough for Crysis unless you have tons of crap running in the background, 4GB is also more than enough. If you can upgrade to 64 bits OS for very little $$$ (ideally free) I would also go for it (Crysis benefits slightly from 64 bits OS, but not that much).

For the video card, the resolution you will be playing the game at has a lot of impact on the performance of the game, that is why I'm asking. Most people use their LCD native resolution (much better image quality that way). For a 22" LCD (typical resolution of 1680x1050), you can probably expect ~40FPS at high settings (DX 9)or ~20 at Very High (DX 10).

Zenthar

Distinguished
Screen sizes vary a lot, but I think many people are now around 22"-24" given how inexpensive they have become. However, one also have to consider his budget and the games he plays; a 24" LCD is 1920x1200 so requires even better video card to achieve same performance level ...

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
So as i thought, having smaller screens may be better for the performance of the card? Running at lower resolutions but the quality is just the same, just at a smaller size.

TRENDING THREADS