GTX 260 louder at idle than it was when I bought it...

Flogger23m

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I have an issue with noise, and I think it is coming from my EVGA GTX 260 192 Superclocked. The card is very new (only about 2 months old). I posted this on some other forums:

I got my PC not too long ago, and its been really quite all until recently. Before, when it was on idle, you could almost not hear my PC at all.

However, until about a week ago, it has gotten louder. It sounds like a normal fan, but just a lot louder when at idle. I am using EVGA Precision to monitor my GTX 260 temps, and my idle temps were 44-45 a few weeks ago. They are exactly the same now. So it is not running any hotter. The fan speed is also displaying to be the same. While I have been using EVGA precision to monitor my temps since I bought my PC, I have not changed clock settings or whatnot.

The only other fan I have in my PC is an Antec 120mm fan, which has a 3-speed control. I am not sure if it is automatic or not, but I have not opened up my PC ever since I got it.

Of course, there is a fan on my Antec Earthwatts 500 PSU and CPU (stock AMD Phenom 9950 quad core at stock settings), but I don't think it would be them.

So does anyone else have these components and have experienced their noise at idle to increase over time?

Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks for your time.

Welcome to the forums!

To isolate the noise, put your finger on the center of the fans and let them slow down.
If the noise sounds like a bad bearing you can oil the fan, by removing the center piece and putting a little oil.
If the noise is constant and regular, I would not worry about it.

Flogger23m

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try and determine if it really is the video card or not by your method. But I don't think I want to open up the fan, I think I'll just cause more issues.

Also, what does a bad bearing sound like?

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
If you slow the fan with your finger you will see what a bad bearing sounds like.
And opening the fan is just removing the decal on the center of it where you are going to put your finger.
One drop of very thin oil and scotch tape will do it.