cinnaman

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I'm looking into getting a new cooler but am having issues deciding on what to buy, i will be overclocking my phenom 965 to 4.0 GHZ but not anyhigher i problably wont even utilize all the power at 4ghz

i am willing to spend 80-120$ on a cooler, air or water, just for the CPU any suggestions on what would be best for my system.

case: cooler master haf 922 (200mm,120mm intake)(200mm,120mm exhaust)
Mobo: gigabyte 890GPA (1 cpu fan, 2x4 pin fans, 1x3 pin fans)
CPU: phenom II 965 BE
GPU: Vapor-x 5870 (its big but so is my case.)

i've looked into:
noctua nh d14
coolermaster hyper
corsair h50,570
zalaman cnpsx10 performa (its like 40$ but i hear its one of the best AMD coolers

as for space i have a lot of room my RAM has no large fins or fans on it and as for the mobo it has okay clearence. though i will go and do background checks on anything i buy so no worries about buying sumin that wont fit.

Solution
+1 to Davcon comment........... static pressure is measured by the density of the fins and not the fan itself......... I dont have to remind that larger fans cool better........ thats why i suggested noctua nf-p14 which can be fitted to 120mm mounts............

sparkle_ftw

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Mugen 2, corsair A70 (not H70), and xigmatek balder are also good choices for under $50 and let you mount two fans, mugen lets you use 4! But it is hard to compete with hyper 212+, another two fan mounter, for 30 shipped.

Well... I'd actually recommend the V6 GT for the best temps, it fits most ram kits but... ye know. The Hyper 212+ that Davcon recommended is probably one of the best budget coolers I know. Switch up the fans for two Thermalright TR-FDB-12-2000 and it'll be golden and "quiet-ish". The V6 GT is probably one of the best coolers besides the D-14 but even the D-14 is freaking huge for almost anything. The V6 GT is great on temps, however it's dBa is a freaking 50dBa at max I'm pretty sure.

Hyper 212+ review: http://www.guru3d.com/article/cooler-master-hyper-212-plus-review/7
Cooler Master V6 GT review: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/34658-cooler-master-v6-gt-cpu-cooler-review-11.html

mrsav25

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I recently got myself a Thermaltake Frio, and previously had an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro.

With the Freezer Pro, I was seeing about 62 degrees at full load with an X4 965 overclocked at 3.9Ghz.

With the Frio (that won a recent 'Custom PC Magazine' test - the reason I got it) I dont hit over 42 degrees!! I'm sitting at 31 degrees now at idle writing this.

Only problem is that you will need a large (wide) case, or it wont fit....my temporary solution below lol:

IMG00950-20101003-0240.jpg

-.- What are you even saying ABS.... No one here has an e5200... Plus none of the closed water cooling systems are beating any top notched air cooling at the moment. Many air coolers that are the same price as the H50 and much cheaper than the H70 beat both those water cooling units..

EDIT: Just looked at some benchs and the even the V6 GT beats the H50 and its cheaper.

cinnaman

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Is the H50 really much quiter cuz the only way i see it being effective is if i attached 2 kaze ultra or even Delta Fans to it, then it would problably be louder then anything. then agaitock fans on any cooler aren exactly special.

Been using 2 H5O's in one HAF 932 @Phenom IIX4 965BE on MSI 790FXGD70 and in a HAF 922 @Phenom IIX2 555BE on M3N-HT Deluxe Mempipe. Never Seen my temps soar above 45 DegC And to add to the point I live in India where standard avg room temps are 35DegC, no airconditioning here :) all that money has gone into my rigs.
So I guess, no doubt an H5O will cool you rig as well as any of the top end air coolers.The only difference is going to be the Noise and Dust factor.
More fans are going to pull in more dust and will increase the noise level.
Decent cooling as you said can be achieved if the H5O fans were to be replaced , hmmmmm. Yes, but it's not required at that OC level and since the fans that come in the bundles are controlled by the Mobo, the noise levels are absolutely minimum.
I had a high end air cooler before this, but that used to get so cluttered with dust that I really needed a different option and this does work well or even better than my earlier air cooler.

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Use H50 or H70.

In H50 use Noctua NF-P14 140mm (it has 120 mm mounting bracket though the fan is 140mm) as a second fan for push pull along with the stock 120mm fan by given corsair.

In H70 replace one of the stock fan with the noctua fan. The noise comes down drastically and cools the radiator better.

cinnaman

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
i was thinking ultra kaze fans on a noctua nh u12p its basically a nh d14 but one larger heatskink instead of one. not sure if the nf-p14 or the ultra kaze are better in static pressure which is wht a heatsink needs so ill go do some research

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
the noctua fans are good enough for any cooler...... especially on their own coolers........ if you are going for any cooler with 120mm fan, just switch or add the NF-P14 fan........ it really cools well and is dead silent on full speed (1000 rpm)

I'd recommend getting fans like the Thermalright TR-FDB-2000, the reason being allthough the noctua fans cool, they are 20$. The thermalrights are only (were) only 10$ on newegg and 14$ at frozen CPU. Plus the thermalright is 2000rpms, rpms go a great distance when cooling your cpu heatsink. (The thermalright is rated 81 cfm at 30 dba, your really going to hafta sacrifice, to be honest even the noctuaheatsink with their noctua fans get loud.

cinnaman

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
i do understand the noctua fans aren't the fastest or the highest CFM but they also have really good static pressure which is required to push air through things like rads and headsinks. im looking at reviews still to find which one is better. for my build

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
+1 to Davcon comment........... static pressure is measured by the density of the fins and not the fan itself......... I dont have to remind that larger fans cool better........ thats why i suggested noctua nf-p14 which can be fitted to 120mm mounts............

Solution