7200rpm hd vs 10.000 using FRAPS

laban

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Hello. I have a 7200rpm hd at the moment, whenever I record stuff in most of my games with fraps, it tends to have pretty low framerates, making the footage choppy and undesirable, unless i change the resolution/graphics to rubbish. Specs are,

seagate barracuda 320gb 16 or 32 mb buffer (cant remember) 300mbs
intel core 2 quad q8300
4 gb ram in dual channel
geforce gtx 275 896mb
msi p43-c51 mobo

I'm thinking about getting a 1000rpm hd because I just can't get the kind of footage I want with such low framerates, but those fast drives aren't big and they cost quite a bit for their size. But would it increase my framerates? I'm mainly thiking about the game ArmA 2 and the like, so of course framerates will drop in such a game but looking at different videos, they didn't seem to have a framerate problem at all, even with high graphic settings. thanks in advance for any advice/help.

laban

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
I tried messing with that but no matter what fps setting it still drops down to lag-level? You sure a faster hd won't make for faster recording?

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I would think that the CPU may be the issue here. A Core 2 Quad is not at its best when dealing with Single Threaded applications. The GPU is probably flat out rendering the game. Try dedicating a couple of cores to FRAPS and the remaining two cores to the game so that they dont get crossed over.

TRENDING THREADS