Artic silver in cpu socket... bad?

flaiteh

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Hi guys

im kind of worried... i bought an p5q deluxe, so i remove my q9650 from my old msi p45 platinum... but when doing so, some artic silver felt into the cpu socket.. in the picture you can see the spots (red circles) where was the mess... i tried to clean it with the artic silver cleaner, but i don't know...

img9_1249974233p.JPG

is my mobo going to die or i just need to clean it?

(idon'twant to use my q9650 to see if works because i can mess it all...)

Thanx for the answers!!!

AS5 is conductive. Do not reinstall the cpu or use the mobo until any and all AS5 has been removed and the socket and pins have been cleaned.

Just to clarify, the AS5 fell into the MSI P45? Or fell into the P5Q Deluxe? And, which mobo do you want to use with the Q9650?

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
In all honesty I cant see much on that pic, but i reckon you should be ok, just do the best job you can removing the as5 from between the pins. As5 is not electrically conductive but it is very slightly capacitive so (i think)in worst case it can cause instability. Someone plz correct me if im wrong.

flaiteh

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

i want to use the q9650 in the p5q deluxe, but i want to sell the MSI p45... so, if i can't test it, ill be selling something it could be damaged... ill follow your advice and try to clean it the best i can, thanx!!

yeah sorry, bad photgrapher here. xD... well, at simple sight it's barely noticed... because i have already clean the most of it... it still have some as attached to the bottom...

thx

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
AS5 is thermally conductive(thats its purpose), not electrically, the fact it contains silver particles doesnt mean anything. It says it on the packaging, AC website, and confirmed by many people who actually tested it. Do as you wish.

Hmm, sorry AS5 is capacitive, not electrically conductive.

Semantics aside, this is from the Arctic Silver website...
Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)
In layman's terms, do not let AS5 touch any electrical contacts because it will (potentially) **** up your $hit and you will have problems.

Bottom line to the OP, do the best you can to remove any and all the AS5 from the socket before you go selling the mobo.

Oh yeah, it can be bad all right. Like monster said, it could **** your board up. Anyway take out the cmos battery and clean the board with some alcohol and q-tips (small ones) or cotton balls. Gonna be hard to get between those pins without bending them so be careful. Anyway why you would bother going from the MSI P45 to the Asus P45 board is beyond me, unless of course the MSI board was dead :D.

flaiteh

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

xD

because i get it at a very good price, and because the msi p45 is a pain in the ass when it became to cpu cooler... xD

i have a Sunbeam CCF and after some cutting and stuff (to the cooler) i manage to make it fit perfectly into the asus... to the msi it is impossible xD

thanx

From AS5 website:

While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and [strike]could potentially[/strike] will definately cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths. /FIXED

Been there done that.

The AS5 should 'harden' and 'break loose' and be removable with little force. Like use a toothpick and break it loose. Carefully. Then a cotton swab with alcohol to clean any remaing thermal paste.

Orion1024

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I would hose it down with some non-lubricating circuit board cleaner spray to be safe. If you have a Frys nearby they sell a brand called Puretronics for $5. That's what I use. Very useful stuff to keep on hand.

TRENDING THREADS