Too much memory affecting PCI devices...

walsharoo

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I've recently bought a new network card, because my old (integrated) card was intermitently uninstalling itself, and I had to reinstall it once a month.

Before I bought a Intel Pro 1000 GT Desktop Adapter, I checked the Window 7 compatability list, and decided, I'd try Windows 7 when I added the new card.

The card installed OK with Windows 7 drivers, but it will not connect to my router. When I try to install newer drivers, the installation wizard reports there are no supported Intel Devices on the machine.

The card is recognised in the device manager and there are no errors, I just can't connect to the internet or my router (BT HH 2.0).

Now this the strange bit. I read on another forum that the having +4gb of memory in Vista was the cause, so I removed 3 x 2gb dimms and the card magically worked.

I know the Mobo I have only 'offically' supports 667Mhz memory, but since I installed the 800mhz memory it's been running fine, apart from this issue.

I don't really want to reduce my memory to 2GB just to get a network card working...but this is driving me crazy.

I'm guessing that my memory is taking up too much power to allow the PCI device to work propery. It's a 750w PSU, so I thought it would be OK.

Is there anyay I can increase the power to the PCI slots (or generally). Or is this just a hardware conflict?

Incidentally, I dual booted and when I tried the card in Vista, the same problem occured. Oh, and since I installed Windows 7 my onboard NIC has been running fine...for now ;)

Any ideas?

walsharoo

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009

I did add my machine details to my sig. but it isn't displaying...

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) (build 7100)
Dell XPS 710
Intel QX6600 Quad Core @2.4Ghz
nForce 590 SLI Mobo
8GB Corsair DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 RAM
2x 256mb NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS (SLI)

Well, I am uncertain about the amount of ram, but in this case I don't think lack of power is the cause of your issues. I would run the ram at the 667 speeds, and think about getting a newer mobo. Test at these speeds and see if your issue goes away.

I do think a likely culprit could be a hardware conflict. You have a lot of stuff going on there, an onboard nic, sli, etc. I have a server box that runs on an older AMD 690 chipset board, it refused to play nice with any add in nics. Its an older mobo, and an inexpensive one to boot, (and I think its dying). But the onboard nic ran fine. Having the extra nic wasn't critical, so I didn't look into it further but I imagine it could be attributed to a hardware conflict. For me those are always tricky to solve

gl