Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Scythe Mugen 2 Orientation in Antec 902

Last response: in Overclocking
September 30, 2010 3:01:30 PM

I'm about to install a Mugen 2 in my Antec 902 and I've seen that it is typically installed in an East-West orientation. When I consider the fan placement in the 902, I wonder if this is the best method. I'm thinking if I installed North-South, the HS fan would intake cooler air from the side fan and the 200mm top fan would exhaust the warm HS air.

Ram height is not an issue for me in the north-south configuration. My Corsair xms3 will still fit under the overhang of the HS.

Wondering if anyone has tested both scenarios with a similar setup and curious to know your temp results.

My setup:
i7 950
Mugen 2
Corsair XMS 3 1600
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

Best solution

a c 100 K Overclocking
September 30, 2010 8:21:13 PM

Front to back is more inline with the case's air flow. Bottom to top isn't bad, but the problem is you'll be sucking up air off the GPU if you have one, anyway, which will be much warmer. Without a GPU it shouldn't matter a whole lot.

I actually have all my fans backwards in my 902, so intake is at the rear, my CPU fan blows towards the front, and the 2 front fans are exhaust, plus the side fan is intake and blows right on my two 5850s with Scythe Setsugen heatsinks (very quiet). I also mounted the two front fans in the top 2 slots, so my DVD drive is at the bottom of the case.
September 30, 2010 9:50:47 PM

wolfram23 said:
Front to back is more inline with the case's air flow. Bottom to top isn't bad, but the problem is you'll be sucking up air off the GPU if you have one, anyway, which will be much warmer. Without a GPU it shouldn't matter a whole lot.

I actually have all my fans backwards in my 902, so intake is at the rear, my CPU fan blows towards the front, and the 2 front fans are exhaust, plus the side fan is intake and blows right on my two 5850s with Scythe Setsugen heatsinks (very quiet). I also mounted the two front fans in the top 2 slots, so my DVD drive is at the bottom of the case.

Good point on the gpus. I hadn't considered this impact. I'm running gtx 460's in sli. If you think bottom to top would suck too much air from the gpu's, I'll probably install front to back.

Thanks!
m
l
October 1, 2010 1:08:55 AM

Best answer selected by loub71.
m
l
!