Oh, where to start....

ecloud13

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
About 6 weeks ago (end of November, early December) I left my computer on to go take a shower. While I'm in the shower I start to smell something really funny (in fact, I'd smelled it before when I burned the silicone handle of my mom's frying pan). I ignore it and continue with my shower, but when I get back to my room I notice my computer's turned off. At first I assumed my mother came in and turned it off, but then I smell that same odor from when I was in the shower, and it's coming from my computer. I try turning the computer back on, but absolutely nothing happens when I press the power button.

Well, my first thought is an overheated power supply, especially when I lean in near it and smell the burning smell. I tell my parents and they hint that Christmas is coming up. Well, getting absolutely nothing from them for Christmas I finally scrounge up enough money to buy a new one off of Newegg. It finally arrives (just in time for school, grr) and when I finally get around to installing the power supply I try to turn it on and nothing happens, once again. Multiple configurations of the power supply 4-pins help nothing so my next thought is that my overheated power supply fried my motherboard along with it. I look at my mobo and some of the capacitors are bulging at the bottom. So I start looking for a new motherboard. But before I go spending that kind of money I want to make sure it really is my motherboard (even though I'd probably need a new one anyway). I re-seat both sticks of RAM, unplug my two SATA cables (one connected to my DVD drive, the other to my larger TB hard drive), take out my wireless card, and put in an older (but fully functioning) video card and plug in my power cord and monitor. Not expected anything I press the power button, and my computer turns on. Immediately, it starts beeping and there's that smell again! Well, crap, it must not have been my power supply. I freak out, and, not wanting to ruin anything else, turn off the computer, unplug it, and look back inside. I take another whiff, and it's the heatsink that's smells like burning silicone. I unscrew and take off the heatsink and try hooking it back up, but nothing happened, again. Well, now I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm still not sure exactly what's been ruined (other than the obvious heatsink) and am afraid to hook it back up to test other things.

So, after that long-ass story, here's my question(s): What's the silver stuff? Is my motherboard possibly fried? Is my heatsink definitely a goner? Why is it that it only turned on once I removed all the other stuff, but then not when I took out the heatsink? Is it dangerous to hook it back up and turn it on again? Do you think my power supply even ever had anything to do with it? Has anything else (hard drives, DVD drive, Video Card, Wireless Card, CPU) been fried?

Thanks, in advance, for the help. And I'll try to be less wordy in the future.

larkspur

Distinguished
The heatsink is just a chunk of metal. It can't really be damaged. The fan on the heatsink may be dead. But modern CPUs usually shut themselves down at high enough temps to melt stuff and cause the 'cooking' smell.

If the smell really is coming from around the CPU then it's probably the motherboard voltage regulator modules that usually surround the CPU socket that have cooked. On cheaper and oem boards often they have inadequate cooling and/or are barely adequate for their task.

ecloud13

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Ok well, since my conputer's not working and I can't look at my dxdiag, here's my system specs ro the best of my knowledge:
Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit
3.20 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
100 GB Hard Drive
1 TB Hard Drive
LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L CD-ROM Drive
Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter
MSI MS-7369 K9N Neo V3 Motherboard
2 512 MB sticks of DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon 5500 Series Video Card
Dell IN1910N Monitor
I hope that's enough.

Well then it must be the fan connected to my heatsink because the smell is distinctly coming from my heatsink/fan.

I'm just really confused as to which part is faulty and why it turned on that one time, but not when I took off my heatsink/fan.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ This is correct.

Look on your motherboard for any burned looking places or burst capacitors. The CPU should have shut itself off before reaching a temperature that could damage it. Here is what to look for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

ecloud13

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Ok, so you're saying it's unlikely that my CPU is damaged?
I've looked over and over my motherboard and all of the capacitors look to be in perfect condition except for slight bulging at the bottom that's keeping them from staying flush with each other. None are burst or burned.

All I know is that the fan on my heatsink definitely smells bad, and is no longer working.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
had similar problem.

sounds like a fried psu

unless you have a good quality psu (most brands you havent heard off arnt)

if they go they quite often take parts with them

you might get lucky and the cpu is fine i know i was lucky when i had that problem

best thing to do is to take it to a computer shop, they will have loads of spare components and can test it for you and can let you know what needs replacing

(i say this because most people havent got a 2 or 3 working motherboards,cpu's,psu's and graphics cards lying around)

most likely you will need new psu and motherboard maybe ram and cpu but there unlikely

but considering the cost of ram, unless you can get a shop to test it just throw it away because if there broken they might damage the motherboard

(i recently bought 8gb ddr3 for £30, 4gb is only around 15)

ecloud13

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
So, either way my motherboard's been ruined. Okay, I guess i needed to upgrade anyway.

Whether or not the psu was fried (which, now, I think it wasn't), I bought a new psu and I still had all the same problems.

D

Deleted member 217926

What power supply did you have and what do you have now?

It still could be your CPU. Hopefully the built in protection did it's job and saved it though. If you have bulging capacitors on your board then you need a new board either way.