XP In-Place Upgrade, Repair, or some other trick? (replace..

May 11, 2004 1:18:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Replaced Chaintech Chaintech 7NJS motherboard with Abit NF7-S.
Chaintech uses Promise PDC20376 SATA RAID controller, Abit uses
Silicon Image SIL-3112.
Did "in-place" upgrade as required, installed SATA drivers during
boot, and added them during Windows XP Professional re-install.
Everything went smoothly, machine works, no performance issues.
However, Silicon Image SATA RAID driver in Device Manager appears in
"Other Devices" under the yellow question mark. All my attempts to
upgrade/reinstall/uninstall it have failed, or more precisely, Windows
never goes past its first splash screen after all such attempts - the
little thingie that runs from left to right before XP actually starts
to boot just stops and sits there. So it forces me to use "last good
menu".
Any and all suggestions, ideas, and recommendations would be highly
appreciated.
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 8:55:19 AM

v8625@hotmail.com (v8625) wrote:

>Replaced Chaintech Chaintech 7NJS motherboard with Abit NF7-S.
>Chaintech uses Promise PDC20376 SATA RAID controller, Abit uses
>Silicon Image SIL-3112.
>Did "in-place" upgrade as required, installed SATA drivers during
>boot, and added them during Windows XP Professional re-install.
>Everything went smoothly, machine works, no performance issues.
>However, Silicon Image SATA RAID driver in Device Manager appears in
>"Other Devices" under the yellow question mark. All my attempts to
>upgrade/reinstall/uninstall it have failed, or more precisely, Windows
>never goes past its first splash screen after all such attempts - the
>little thingie that runs from left to right before XP actually starts
>to boot just stops and sits there. So it forces me to use "last good
>menu".
>Any and all suggestions, ideas, and recommendations would be highly
>appreciated.

Check your BIOS version number and go to
http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.ph...
and see if there is an update available.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

May 12, 2004 12:06:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I put the latest BIOS as soon as I replaced the board. Current version
is 1.23 (for board revision 2.0), which updates SATA BIOS to v4.2.47.
So everthying was up-to-date.
Regards.

Ron Martell <ron@onlinehelp.bc.ca> wrote in message news:<a0n0a05306s2vrni3tpq4a9bcerv4nctnf@4ax.com>...
> v8625@hotmail.com (v8625) wrote:
>
> >Replaced Chaintech Chaintech 7NJS motherboard with Abit NF7-S.
> >Chaintech uses Promise PDC20376 SATA RAID controller, Abit uses
> >Silicon Image SIL-3112.
> >Did "in-place" upgrade as required, installed SATA drivers during
> >boot, and added them during Windows XP Professional re-install.
> >Everything went smoothly, machine works, no performance issues.
> >However, Silicon Image SATA RAID driver in Device Manager appears in
> >"Other Devices" under the yellow question mark. All my attempts to
> >upgrade/reinstall/uninstall it have failed, or more precisely, Windows
> >never goes past its first splash screen after all such attempts - the
> >little thingie that runs from left to right before XP actually starts
> >to boot just stops and sits there. So it forces me to use "last good
> >menu".
> >Any and all suggestions, ideas, and recommendations would be highly
> >appreciated.
>
> Check your BIOS version number and go to
> http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.ph...
> and see if there is an update available.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 10:37:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

v8625@hotmail.com (v8625) wrote:

>Did that too. Just tried it again - to make sure. The driver wouldn't
>uninstall even in safe mode. That is, it says it is uninstalled, but
>after reboot everything is back to where it was - Windows is not even
>looking for any new devices. Updating driver in safe mode also has the
>same results. That is, it simply wouldn't get past that first splash
>screen, so I have to go back to my "last good menu".

I have to admit that I am out of ideas at this point.

Have you tried contacting Abit technical support? They might have a
suggestion for you.

It might be possible, to manually edit the registry to remove the
entries for the Chaintech Controller, but I am not knowledgeable
enough about the registry to be able to give you a complete set of the
keys and values that need to be removed or changed.