Can "Broken EXE association after EVERY restart" be fixed

lony

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Hello, please help...i'm not a tech and i really need help/suggestions/ideas to solve this.

i have the same problem as retardedspleen, broken EXE association problem after every restart. After fixing it I scanned the computer with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware; SUPERAntiSpyware; Avg, BitDefender Antivirus, all of them didn't find any problems or viruses. i restarted after each scan but the exe was broken again & again. Did anybody was able to fix this problem. Greatly appreciate any help!

bartekk

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011

That makes two of us, lony. I cleaned the machine of viruses using Malwarebytes & SuperAntiSpyware. Found it unable to connect to websites by domain name, while IP worked and so did pinging. Tried lspfix and other methods. Finally decided to repair WinXP.

My internet connection now works, but every reboot loses the .EXE association.

Seems to me both of you could do with a proper clear out using ComboFix which you can find at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com, along with all the Tutorials. If you're in any doubt about understanding those, get a pro fixer in because ComboFix can mess things up completely.

Also, check in Internet Options either from Control Panel or IE's Tools menu, then the Connection tab and the LAN button. Make sure there are no ticks in the Proxy boxes but that there is one in Automatically Detect Settings.

Deviant660

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
After spending way to much time on a clients computer I found that uninstalling SUPERantispyware with Revo uninstaller rebooting then running Ccleaner registry tool (then rebooting) fixed this for me. And now I hope that it does for you as well!

Marcus Quintilius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

I also struggled with this problem for about a week after getting hit with a Trojan, though I can't remember the exact name of it. Every taskbar icon was broken and every .exe program was unrecognized.

I performed full scans with Malware and Super. AVG didn't find it or recognize it as a threat. Super actually found it and removed it and that's when I started getting the consistent rebooting problems with windows xp not recognizing any sort of application executable. In my case, fortunately, Firefox still did open up once I used the "open as" dialog. A few other applications would also work in this manner such as Outlook 12. This problem also corrupted my AutoCAD authentication user key which I restored using the uninstall program where you can attempt a repair/restore before full uninstall.

Irregardless, forget using Kelly's Corner exe association fix, that's only temporary. It can get into things like regedit or msconfig. I used several exe registry fixes from the internet including Doug's XP Tweaks and Fixes without permanent solution.

Only AFTER uninstalling SUPERanitispyware with Revo using the most advance removal setting then using doug's exe fix did I create a restore point. CCleaner in the past really destroyed a lot of functionality in my system once before so I was wary to perform a full registry clean. I also download the ComboFix but it sounded a lot like what CCleaner does so I waited and rebooted after making my restore point.

I also individually looked for a few suspicious start up items which were all legit but still removed all but the most needed by xp. I then manually removed and reinstalled the startup items using the browse feature in Glary Utilities start up application. I then manually deleted any windows applicable Temp folders (but left my program specific temp folders alone). Another restore point and reboot.

THIS FIXED THE PROBLEM. I DID NOT use CCleaner to wipe the registry or ComboFix. Even my taskbar quick-launch icons were fully restored in the proper order and the taskbar notification area is now fully expanded and shows all the active/inactive icons I specified to run at startup.

I'm not sure if any of the supplemental actions I took actually fixed the reoccuring exe issue but made life "back to normal" after the uninstall of SUPERantispyaware with Revo. The former actually stopped some attacks in the past but I fear its either been compromised by the jerks who make viruses/worms/trojans or the original programming has a serious vulnerability issue.