Ep43ud3l Dangerous to change IRQ?

zekey

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
My Problem,

I recently bought the x-fi titanium pro.... now like many people my issues lies with many crackles and bursts while surfing the net.. etc. I read that the problem my be IRQ sharing. I checked and of course the video card/sound card/ +3 other things are using the same IRQ. So to fix it theres an option in BIOS to change the IRQ of PCI1/2 (Video/Sound card).
So my question is.. is it safe to randomly toss around IRQ designations... which ones do I choose? Could there also be problems with this.

Thanks in advance

bilbat

Splendid
So my question is.. is it safe to randomly toss around IRQ designations... which ones do I choose? Could there also be problems with this.
You certainly cannot "randomly toss around IRQ designations... " Back in the day, we had to carefully manage these assignments to coordinate systems operation, and there were things you just 'couldn't do', like add a certain peripheral card, because you had no free IRQ that would accomodate it. Trust me - you don't want this headache; in addition, there is so much IRQ driven harware in a modern system, that IRQ sharing has become a 'must'; that's why it's been supported by all Windoze versions past ME.

For some background on what the Interrupt ReQuest mechanism is and does, take a peek here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt

First thing to check regarding your problem is who is 'hogging' your timing; download the sycon's DPC Latency Checker here:
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

There is abundant information on what to do with this information; you can also find info on what services you need, versus which ones are 'useless hogs' here:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
and here:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

zekey

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
So I ran the latency checker.
And every so often im getting this enourmous Red spike.. its 16000+ seems to heppen when im just curising the internet. But if I right click on applications and do some regular system surfing.. clicking through folders I also get this huge ride spike.. so im curious wheres it comming from

zekey

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Thanks again for the help!

Ok so heres some info so far
Im running windows7 x64. build 7100
I have a on board realtek high speed moden. Right now I am connected into a D-link wireless device

zekey

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Oh on a side note I installed the sound cardi nto a different pci slot.. its now on IRQ 5 not sharing anything.. but still have the high latency and pops. Thanks from steering me away from guessing which IRQ to toss it in. ill get the start up picture asap

zekey

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
SOrry some more information I came across today. My sistem has 180 IRQ's acording to my system information. Also my sb-xfi is sharing an IRQ with my realtek modem

bilbat

Splendid
THe program says it does not support 64x OS
I'm not quite sure what to make of this - this screen capture:
0050wnu.jpg

is from a win7RC1x64 system... (haven't yet found free time to install the RTMs...)
While this is being resolved, I would start out by doing a <CTRL><SHFT><ESC> to go to the Task Manager, click on the 'Performance' tab, and then, at the bottom, click on 'Resource Monitor' - this will give you several prioritized lists of 'who's using what' in the way of CPU utilization, RAM space, disk and network accesses - might help find the 'culprit'

bilbat

Splendid
Easiest way I can think of that won't require a lot of complex instructions - click on your QuickStartup screen display, to make sure it's the 'active' window; do a <Ctrl><PrtScr> to capture it; open a new word document, click into the document to place your cursor in it, and do a <CTRL><V> to paste the screen capture into the document; save it under some name or other, and email it to me as an attachment - bilbat@wi.rr.com
I'll take a look, and tell you who's on the 'prime suspects' list, how to 'catch 'em in the act', and try to track down their background services...

Bill

BTW - if it's not here tomorrow AM, it'll take until, probably, Murphy's Law exempted, a day - I'm pretty sure I'm downing this thing to install the 7 RTMs most of the day tomorrow, plus a doctor visit - left eyeball is infected and threatening to jump out of my head if I don't do something soon!