Sign in with
Your question

Hyper 212+ High temp. problem

Last response: in Overclocking
October 1, 2010 12:02:21 AM

Hey All,

So I just got my new CM Hyper 212+ in today (single fan set for now), it replaced the stock cooler that my i7 920 came with. My cpu is not overclocked or anything so far its just stock. It seems as though the temps are high and are on par with the temps i got with the stock cooler. I followed the instructions per the video that cooler master has on youtube, additionally I used the thermal paste that came w/ the cooler. I removed the old thermal paste and I put a small dot on the cpu and spread a thin layer over the heat pipes on the cooler. My cores with the stock cooler were between 39-44 for each core. With the Hyper 212+ it is still at those same temps. I tried a reseat but the temps are still about the same at idle. The temps don't seem too bad @ 94% load with Folding@home cpu smp client running it gets up to about 60-62 celcius as compared to 75 with the stock cooler. Everything is inside a CM storm scout with good case airflow. I also applied thermal paste to the cooler to fill in the gaps between the heat pipes and I applied a semi-thin layer to the cpu itself. Should these temps be lower w/ the 212+? If so what could I be missing thats causing the problem? Thanks in advance for the help!
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 288 K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 2:06:19 PM

Hi.

Do u have the fan in what side of the case?
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
a c 231 K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 2:42:08 PM

You do not want to use anymore thermal compound than is necessary, I always pull my heat sink and inspect the footprint on the cpu heat spreader to see the contact results, that will tell you exactly whats happening as far a thorough contact, or if you're using too much TIM or not enough.

It will also show if for some reason there is a no contact zone resulting from poor manufacturing, keep in mind as far as general mass production is concerned not every single heat sink will be inspected, they normally will inspect every 5th or 10th product in a production run depending on the manufacturers production plan and schedule.

FYI; I did notice with my own CMH212+ the heat pipes were a little extended below the aluminum base, so I made the choice to lap my base until they were level which did improve my results, that may or may not be the case with yours.

I did get a performance gain by going to a push/pull 120mm fan setup using higher 110cfm fans.

Inspect your contact footprint first of all, the least amount of TIM interface you use the better, too much has a negative result as it can act like an insulator instead a conductor.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 3:04:00 PM

It's not really going to drop idle temps a whole lot. Those for a large part depend on ambient temps.

The load temps are where it matters, and those are looking far better than stock
m
l
October 1, 2010 5:52:24 PM

Thanks for all the quick replies! I think that I used too much TIM may be the case, I never really checked to make sure the heat sink was completely flat on the CPU. I think that me using too much TIM is acting as an insulator because everytime I would touch the heatsink it would be fairly cool to the touch, so I don't think there is much heat transfer going on. I'll go for a 2nd reseat today and see how flat the heat sink sits and use alot less TIM and see how it goes. Thanks again!
m
l
October 1, 2010 6:58:45 PM

zerobdr said:
Hey All,

So I just got my new CM Hyper 212+ in today (single fan set for now), it replaced the stock cooler that my i7 920 came with. My cpu is not overclocked or anything so far its just stock. It seems as though the temps are high and are on par with the temps i got with the stock cooler. I followed the instructions per the video that cooler master has on youtube, additionally I used the thermal paste that came w/ the cooler. I removed the old thermal paste and I put a small dot on the cpu and spread a thin layer over the heat pipes on the cooler. My cores with the stock cooler were between 39-44 for each core. With the Hyper 212+ it is still at those same temps. I tried a reseat but the temps are still about the same at idle. The temps don't seem too bad @ 94% load with Folding@home cpu smp client running it gets up to about 60-62 celcius as compared to 75 with the stock cooler. Everything is inside a CM storm scout with good case airflow. I also applied thermal paste to the cooler to fill in the gaps between the heat pipes and I applied a semi-thin layer to the cpu itself. Should these temps be lower w/ the 212+? If so what could I be missing thats causing the problem? Thanks in advance for the help!

What case are you using? The design of your case and its airflow will have an impact on your core temps. Having an exhaust on the top of the case will evacuate alot of hot air. I wouldn't recommend installing that heatsink in anything smaller than an Antec 900.

I'd definitely recommend a cold air intake, as I did with my Antec 900 and Hyper212:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262162-29-ducting-80m...
m
l
October 1, 2010 7:54:43 PM

Thanks for the reply! I have a CM Storm Scout case, it has a 140mm fan (Exhaust I think) on top, a 120mm exhaust in the back and a 120mm intake on the front. I also will have a 120mm fan on the side of the case soon.
m
l
October 1, 2010 7:56:28 PM

zerobdr said:
Thanks for the reply! I have a CM Storm Scout case, it has a 140mm fan (Exhaust I think) on top, a 120mm exhaust in the back and a 120mm intake on the front. I also will have a 120mm fan on the side of the case soon.

Do you have any drives mounted in front of the Hyper212?
m
l
October 1, 2010 7:59:19 PM

Right Now I have the fan pointing towards the front of the case, the only things in front of it are 3 sticks of ocz gold RAM 1 and 1 CD/DVD drive mounted
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 8:00:42 PM

zerobdr said:
Right Now I have the fan pointing towards the front of the case, the only things in front of it are 3 sticks of ocz gold RAM 1 and 1 CD/DVD drive mounted

What do you mean? The fan should be on the "front" side of the case, and pushing air to the back of the case, through the heat sink.
m
l
October 1, 2010 8:02:08 PM

Yea, thats what I meant. The fan is pulling in air from the front of the case through the heatsink and the air is exiting to the back of the case. Do you know generally what the idle temps should be with a hyper 212+ on an i7 920, i tried google but I couldn't really come up with anything definitive.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 8:08:05 PM

Generally low 40s is pretty normal, although I would have guess it'd be a bit lower at stock.

My i5 750 idles at 39/40 or so, but with a pretty large OC and all power saving features are on (from 133 bclk to 177)
m
l
October 1, 2010 8:10:09 PM

Ok thanks for the info., I was under the assumption that with a stock i7 920 w/ a hyper 212+ should be somewhere in the mid to upper 20s, but thats from some benchmarks I saw. I know they are not usually the best things to look at for actual experiences.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 8:14:04 PM

Nah that's crazy low. I've only had readings like that with C6 enabled, which is basically just a misreading because it gates the power off so all the cores read as low as 18C... But that's totally not right.
m
l
October 1, 2010 8:17:14 PM

Ok right now I got the CPU smp folding@ home running for about 2 minutes or so with a load of about 94% and the temps are about 55-59 per core. At idle a few minutes ago it was at about 34-39 or so. I'm wondering if a remount is worth it, the only thing that concerned me was that the heatsink wasen't hot/warm to the touch (not sure if they always are) so I didn't think much heat transfer was going on.Also, I heard that after a new heatsink you should do a sensor test w/ realtemp I'm not exactly sure what the readings mean.
m
l
October 1, 2010 9:19:56 PM

zerobdr said:
Ok thanks for the info., I was under the assumption that with a stock i7 920 w/ a hyper 212+ should be somewhere in the mid to upper 20s, but thats from some benchmarks I saw. I know they are not usually the best things to look at for actual experiences.

I've achieved 22C idle, 38C 100% load with Prime95 with an ambient temperature of 65F (CPU). The temperature sensors on the e8400 are faulty, so they'll most often have a "minimum" temperature the sensors will display, in my case, 41C. My cores never exceed that temperature, so are presumably less than that (probably by just 1-2C). So, the temperatures from the benchmarks are definitely achievable.
m
l
October 1, 2010 9:34:18 PM

zerobdr said:
Ok right now I got the CPU smp folding@ home running for about 2 minutes or so with a load of about 94% and the temps are about 55-59 per core. At idle a few minutes ago it was at about 34-39 or so. I'm wondering if a remount is worth it, the only thing that concerned me was that the heatsink wasen't hot/warm to the touch (not sure if they always are) so I didn't think much heat transfer was going on.Also, I heard that after a new heatsink you should do a sensor test w/ realtemp I'm not exactly sure what the readings mean.

I'm not sure why exactly you're getting higher temperatures than I am, but airflow has something to do with it. A remount may fix it, but better airflow will definitely help.

I have 260CFM intake (with an 80mm fan + duct directing cold air toward the 212), and 215CFM exhaust (excluding PSU).

The front intake on your CM Scout is actually a 140mm fan (along with the top), and I think model CM is using in this case is CM Storm Force Red LED 140mm, which maxes out at 142CFM. So, you're probably looking at 142CFM intake, and 200CFM exhaust (excluding PSU), provided the fans are at their max.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 9:39:15 PM

zerobdr, download Real Temp and Prime 95. With Real Temp you can run a temp test which will basically measure the temps at 100%, 95%, 90% etc down to 5% or so, and it loads up the CPU with Prime 95. It's pretty easy and tells you what to do. It's a good idea. Your temps sound quite good to me, under 60C at load.

Can't really compare the temps to an e8400... not even in the same league. Duo core vs quad core with hyperthreading. It's like saying you should burn as much fuel in a 2L 4 cyl engine as a 5L 8 cyl... just doesn't compare.

Anyway, a remount isn't a big deal. Just buy some TIM, Arctic Silver 5 is decent but it's surpassed by newer Arctic offerings. Won't make a huge difference tho maybe 1 or 2 C whatever TIM you get. Anyway, it's good to check how TIM is spread, if it has full coverage and if there's any spots that don't appear to have contact. Also, if it appears to have leaked over the edges then you know there was too much TIM. I've remounted probably 10 times or so just to make sure I got it to the best temps... well, and because I did lapping. Anyway, only thing is when you remove it, wipe off all the TIM that's on there. Best way is with some alcohol and a lint-free cloth (I did major TIM removal with a kleenex, but then used an extra LCD wipe for a final clean). I also found that for me the best method of application is two very thin parallel lines of TIM, near the cores. Other methods are a big glob or pre-wipe, although I was warned against that because if you just put a thin layer pre-covering the CPU, then in some spots that might not have a thick enough amount due to variations in flatness the contact will suck. With a glob or lines, it squishes where it needs it. Now when I take my cooler off, most of the center doesn't even have TIM (very small amounts that look like frost, filling in small gaps) and the edges have a bit more TIM.

Anyway... just my 2 cents but it sounds to me that your temps are alright. You'll also see a bigger advantage when you OC with a big cooler, as it allows a lot of headroom for heat transfer. Oh yeah and the heat sink probably won't feel warm to the touch, at most if you leave it running at 100% load for 10 mins and feel near the bottom it might be warm, but that's it.
m
l
October 1, 2010 9:44:26 PM

That's true, the i7s do run hotter than Core 2 Duo/Quads. I've never worked with them so I wasn't aware of the temps they ran at.
m
l
!