Sign in with
Your question

I7 rig nearing completion. *looking for critique's/suggestions*

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2009 3:04:39 AM

Intended use : Movies/Internet, Gaming :sol: 

I've put together a list of parts for the new computer and I am looking for critiques/suggestions. I plan to use this computer over the next few years with the only possible upgrade being an extra video card for SLi.

Power supply I am still unsure about. I've read great things about Corsair PSU's and would prefer a modular power supply if possible. I had been leaning towards the 620HX but I wasn't sure if this would be enough in the future if I do upgrade to a 2nd card in SLi. Looking for suggestions here..

And I know this a dumb thing to worry about, but do you guys favor spending a bit more to get a quality DVD drive? I do not need a blu-ray drive, just a basic DVD drive that can also burn DVD-R's/CD-R's. I was thinking of just getting a $25-30 LG or Lite-On drive however some of the reviews on Newegg are pretty scary. I have had great results with Plextor drives in the past and wasn't sure if it would be worth spending $60 on a nicer drive..

CPU - Intel i7 920

Motherboard - Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Video Card - Evga GTX 285

Memory - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Power Supply - CORSAIR 850TX 850W

HSF - Noctua NH-U12P SE

Hard Drive - (2) WD Raptor 36 gig in RAID 0 (from previous build) , Samsung 640GB (from previous build), WD Caviar Black 640GB

Case - Cooler Master ATCS 840

Monitor - Asus VW266H

CD/DVD-RW - LG Black 22X DVD+R

USB Drive - Crucial 2GB Gizmo

OS - Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Reason for a lot of ASUS products is because I have a friend in sales at ASUS NA :whistle:  Any suggestions?

Thanks and I appreciate all feedback ;) 
March 2, 2009 3:23:23 AM

Budget?

Just get a $25 LG dvd drive, all dvd drives are the same basically.

I like this ram better, although the price just went up $50 from yesterday :( :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you don't have Vista ultimate already then don't get it. Just use Vista, its $100 cheaper and is plenty for most people, unless you need the backup utilities and business features.

For the PSU; Getting a modular PSU costs much more than nonmodular, so I would suggest you just get a regular one and then ziptie your extra cables out of the way. If you really want modular, then I would recommend this for 2 GTX 260+'s.
March 2, 2009 3:34:48 AM

I/O Magic SuperMulti 8x Dual/Double Layer 20x DVD Burner with LightScribe (Serial ATA)

i got two of these one for 29.99 after mail and rebate from microcenter Original price is 59.99 come with dual layer and lightScribe
Related resources
March 2, 2009 3:51:06 AM

hmmm nice product i guess i went with i/o magic cause it has lightscribe
March 2, 2009 3:55:29 AM

I just use sharpies to label my DVD's :p 
March 2, 2009 4:26:43 AM

xthekidx said:
Budget?

Just get a $25 LG dvd drive, all dvd drives are the same basically.

I like this ram better, although the price just went up $50 from yesterday :( :

If you don't have Vista ultimate already then don't get it. Just use Vista, its $100 cheaper and is plenty for most people, unless you need the backup utilities and business features.

For the PSU; Getting a modular PSU costs much more than nonmodular, so I would suggest you just get a regular one and then ziptie your extra cables out of the way. If you really want modular, then I would recommend this for 2 GTX 260+'s.

Not really on a budget. Current system is an AMD 3500+, 2gigs of ram, and a G-Force Ti200 (6800GT broke and Evga wouldn't warranty). Work recently gave me a new laptop and after seeing how nice this runs compared to my actual computer I figured it was time for an upgrade :lol:  Also I really enjoy watching x264 shows/movies which my current computer can't even handle :heink: 

Any particular reason you like that ram over the Corsair? Timings are just a bit different however I've heard Corsair has really reliable ram that doesn't have issues. I'm still learning so any info as to why product A is better than product B would be great :D 
March 2, 2009 4:44:05 AM

Corsair ram is very reliable, and have built up the name of their Dominator series very well. As such, they have become overpriced IMO. The timings on that other kit are very good, much better than the dominators, however the real world performance won't be that noticable outside of sythetic tests. Now, the price difference isn't that great and I don't recommend the OCZ's as highly as I did yesterday...They were $140 which is a steal for that kit.

The differences in those kits is mainly in the Heatspreader. The dominators have a great heatspreader which made a difference when running those modules at higher voltages, like at 2.0v because ram gets hot when under that much current. With the new 1.65v spec from intel, the fancy heatspreaders aren't that crucial anymore because the ram doesn't generate as much heat as it used to, making other kits that don't have those fancy heatspreaders more appealing for the price.

Edit: I hadn't noticed the drop in price of the Dominators, now at $185, last time I checked they were priced at $220. So actually I must go back on my recommendation and say the Dominators are a better deal now. Sorry for the confusion :p 
March 2, 2009 5:00:45 AM

Hehe to be honest, I had my memory selection left blank about a week ago :)  After seeing the price drop over the last day I added the Dominator to my list ;) 

Also I forgot to ask in the first post about my hard drives. The Raptors I have are from my old system, I noticed that Newegg doesn't even list the 36 gig Raptors anymore.. Are the new "Veloci" Raptor drives significantly better and would it be beneficial to get two new 74 gig drives for RAID 0? Budget isn't really an issue if there would be a nice increase in performance/reliability
March 2, 2009 4:10:42 PM

I second the SSDs, I'm building a Core i7 gaming machine and am planning to use 2 64GB SSDs in a RAID-0 for boot/games. Just have to make sure to reduce the amount of writing on the SSDs (no paging file, move user profile to another drive, etc).

Also, on the RAM, as I understand it, the 920 (and 940) can't use RAM faster than 1066 natively. So unless you're planning some serious overclocking, save your money. I'm planning on using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GL
March 2, 2009 5:59:29 PM

They can use the ram, you just have to change the multiplier in the bios to use it, its very simple.
March 2, 2009 11:36:25 PM

byaw said:
Not really on a budget. Current system is an AMD 3500+, 2gigs of ram, and a G-Force Ti200 (6800GT broke and Evga wouldn't warranty). Work recently gave me a new laptop and after seeing how nice this runs compared to my actual computer I figured it was time for an upgrade :lol:  Also I really enjoy watching x264 shows/movies which my current computer can't even handle :heink: 

Any particular reason you like that ram over the Corsair? Timings are just a bit different however I've heard Corsair has really reliable ram that doesn't have issues. I'm still learning so any info as to why product A is better than product B would be great :D 

i guess i chose the viper cause it was much cheaper right now
March 3, 2009 1:59:34 AM

Picking up the mobo tomorrow from my friend and should be placing my Newegg order by the end of this week :) 

I ended up switching the video card to the Evga GTX 285 (looks like the asus card would be a long wait as their suppliers need orders filled first and he didn't have a solid ETA on when I could get one). I figured I would just go with this card from Newegg as the rebates are nice right now and it includes COD (a game I would purchase anyways hehe).

The Evga SC and SCC editions are just standard cards overclocked with a factory warranty correct? I figure with a small overclock I can reach these speeds and have the same performance.

I am still very hesitant with the SSD's and would feel more comfortable saving those for another build. As I mentioned I plan to keep this existing hardware for the next few years and I would plan to format multiple times and also write data on the drives. Maybe they were just rumors but I would hate for the drive to go bad or have problems if I did format multiple times. The Raptors are proven drives/technology which I feel more comfortable running for the time being.

March 3, 2009 2:05:43 AM

Wow I just put the Evga GTX 285 in my cart and there is a $49.99 savings + a $20 rebate that you get with the card. The card right now is only $305 and I can get another $20 back for a total of $285 :eek:  Wonder how long this deal will last, might just place my order tonight so I don't chance missing out on this deal hehe
March 3, 2009 2:42:48 AM

$285 are you serious cause i saw one in new egg same one for $360 where did you find that price at?
March 3, 2009 2:43:52 AM

$285 are you serious cause i saw one in new egg same one for $360 where did you find that price at?
March 3, 2009 2:47:29 AM

palenex said:

I'm serial :lol: 

I saw the $20 rebate advertised however once you add it to your cart there is another $49.99 savings that is applied :o  I'm minutes away from sending the order in, just noticed they no longer have the Noctua NH-U12P SE HSF on the site though, guess I'll just skip that from the order and get it somewhere else :( 
March 3, 2009 2:54:28 AM

Quick post a link to the said video card. I wanna check it out.
March 3, 2009 3:00:47 AM

i bought a Ati sapphire radeon HD 4850 x2 do you guys think its a good card i saw reviews on it it second top of the list video card right under 4870 x2 that why i bought the 4850 x2 instead of nvidia

Iam not very familiar with what i need.. but can put a system to gether.
March 3, 2009 3:04:42 AM

migs008 said:
Quick post a link to the said video card. I wanna check it out.

I fail :lol: 

Sorry to get everyone's hopes up, just saw what had happened when browsing over my cart. Newegg charges you $49.99 for the COD game (which is on a separate item) but then they refund you $49.99 off the order.

Looks like I'm actually paying the normal price hehe :whistle: 
March 3, 2009 3:09:45 AM

byaw said:
I fail :lol: 

Sorry to get everyone's hopes up, just saw what had happened when browsing over my cart. Newegg charges you $49.99 for the COD game (which is on a separate item) but then they refund you $49.99 off the order.

Looks like I'm actually paying the normal price hehe :whistle: 

I knew it was too good to be true :( 
March 3, 2009 3:19:10 AM

byaw said:
Intended use : Movies/Internet, Gaming :sol: 

I've put together a list of parts for the new computer and I am looking for critiques/suggestions. I plan to use this computer over the next few years with the only possible upgrade being an extra video card for SLi.

Power supply I am still unsure about. I've read great things about Corsair PSU's and would prefer a modular power supply if possible. I had been leaning towards the 620HX but I wasn't sure if this would be enough in the future if I do upgrade to a 2nd card in SLi. Looking for suggestions here..

And I know this a dumb thing to worry about, but do you guys favor spending a bit more to get a quality DVD drive? I do not need a blu-ray drive, just a basic DVD drive that can also burn DVD-R's/CD-R's. I was thinking of just getting a $25-30 LG or Lite-On drive however some of the reviews on Newegg are pretty scary. I have had great results with Plextor drives in the past and wasn't sure if it would be worth spending $60 on a nicer drive..

CPU - Intel i7 920

Motherboard - Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Video Card - Evga GTX 285

Memory - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Power Supply - CORSAIR 850TX 850W

HSF - Noctua NH-U12P SE

Hard Drive - (2) WD Raptor 36 gig in RAID 0 (from previous build) , Samsung 640GB (from previous build), WD Caviar Black 640GB

Case - Cooler Master ATCS 840

Monitor - Asus VW266H

CD/DVD-RW - LG Black 22X DVD+R

USB Drive - Crucial 2GB Gizmo

OS - Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Reason for a lot of ASUS products is because I have a friend in sales at ASUS NA :whistle:  Any suggestions?

Thanks and I appreciate all feedback ;) 

If your 'buddy' was really a buddy, he'd get you a good deal on a p6t6 ws revolution. Then you could get a pair of SAS drives and sell the raptors off. SSD's are early product IMO, and I'd not trust them in a raid0 ATM. Plus, the WD640 BE's get very close to their IO, without all the heat and noise.
March 3, 2009 3:23:16 AM

why not patriot viper ram its about $80 cheapper then the corsair... iam getting my tx 850 watt corsair at tiger direct best price i have seen
March 3, 2009 3:29:39 AM

xthekidx said:

Sad but true, my $100 HP lightscibe DVD burner has never burned one label :p  Of course, all burners cost 30 bucks these days and are just as good.
March 3, 2009 3:48:46 AM

Order is placed and I should get everything by the end of the week or early next week :sol:  When working on my car I always document big installs so I figured I'd do the same with my new computer build. It's always fun to keep track of everything and share your build with others. Keep an eye out for a new thread with build pictures in the next week or two :) 

Thanks again everyone for the help and for also putting up with my nonsense hehe :love: 

croc said:
If your 'buddy' was really a buddy, he'd get you a good deal on a p6t6 ws revolution. Then you could get a pair of SAS drives and sell the raptors off. SSD's are early product IMO, and I'd not trust them in a raid0 ATM. Plus, the WD640 BE's get very close to their IO, without all the heat and noise.

I can get any motherboard but opted for the P6T V2 based on what I will use it for and what options I needed. I agree on the SSD's and would not trust them until they've been out longer and others do long term tests/reviews. Plan is to run the Raptors as my main drives in RAID 0 (os, games, programs), use the WD640 BE for x264 movies and other shows I watch on a daily/weekly basis, and my old Samsung drive for backup of photos and other junk on my computer.
palenex said:
why not patriot viper ram its about $80 cheapper then the corsair... iam getting my tx 850 watt corsair at tiger direct best price i have seen

Just based on the Newegg customer reviews I was turned off.. I know it's not the best way to judge things as the reviews could be bogus but I just feel more comfortable sticking to a brand I've ran in the past and others have nice reviews of. I've also ran OCZ, etc.. in the past so I was open to those if the price/performance was nice.
March 3, 2009 5:06:24 PM

xthekidx said:

And this is why I follow thekid's advice: great minds think alike. :D 
March 7, 2009 1:40:05 AM

Newegg never fails to deliver on time and as expected, truly a great company that can provide unbeatable prices and quick delivery :) 

as you can see I'm still missing the motherboard :(  Hoping that I can get it on Monday if their shipment is in and they aren't all called for like last time.. (if I don't get one from this shipment it's probably another week, really a bummer :(  ) Monitor will be picked up Monday for sure and will be added to the stack of parts that I get to stare at hehe.

I also wanted to briefly talk about the Noctua NH-U12P SE heatsink/fan. I appreciate when a company goes out of their way to provide a complete package that is not only of high quality but also works well. It comes packaged extremely well and is a complete setup. They literally include everything needed to install this cooler from thermal paste, sound deadening padding for the fans, voltage reducers to lower fan speed, and even a screw driver piece so you can install it. Also before purchasing the cooler I had emailed their tech support to ask a question and received a response within a few hours. All around a great company that deserves a mention! (I can't believe I got this excited over a HSF hehe ;)  )
March 7, 2009 7:36:59 PM

congrat.. nice gear

how much was the video card?
March 8, 2009 7:01:42 PM

palenex said:
congrat.. nice gear

how much was the video card?

It was $334 as I sent in the mail in rebate. Also got a free Call of Duty game with the purchase :) 
March 11, 2009 6:07:07 AM

Picked up the motherboard and monitor today and as of right now my system is all finished :) 

Spent some time and installed everything this evening. I tucked the majority of wires while installing the various parts and will finish tomorrow (just wanted to get it running right before buttoning it all up). This case is a breeze to work with and made the install very easy. Vista is all up and running and I have no issues at all, it's detecting the full 6 gigs of memory :) 

I took some pictures along the way and will make a new thread tomorrow with a writeup. Too tired and going to bed now so I'm not a zombie at work tomorrow hehe
!