Sign in with
Your question

SSD Memory Is Way Overbooked

Last response: in Storage
September 16, 2010 11:13:30 PM

Okay so I have an intel x25 ssd @ 80 gb of space as my pimary drive with windows 7 ultimate operating system. I recently did a clean format and reinstall the operating system and all my programs (which should add up to about 15 gb or 20 gb TOPS, but it displays I am using over 38 or 40 gbs of space) I have used a disk explorer to look deep into it and everything looks fine as to the space, I just dont understand where all this extra useage is coming from because it is slowing down my disk transfer rates.

More about : ssd memory overbooked

September 17, 2010 9:58:22 PM

The space is still way overbooked. Running any disk cleaner doesn't do anything, I checked all through my system files and I have no idea where this extra space is coming from (Like literally 15 gb).
a b G Storage
September 17, 2010 11:22:12 PM

What are the sizes of your hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys files?
Related resources
September 17, 2010 11:48:16 PM

well doesn't the paging file size go by your RAM? And where do I find hiberfil.sys and the exact numbers for the paging file?
a c 415 G Storage
September 18, 2010 1:57:33 AM

The drive won't perform any slower just because it's full. You *might* get slower write rates if the drive hasn't been able to optimize it's remaining free space, but everything else should be the same.

Check the recycle bin for all of the accounts on the system. Check the root folder of the "C:\" drive for pagefile.sys and hiberfile.sys. And check to see if a lot of space is tied up in System Restore Points, see: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/windows-vista-solutions,rev...
a b G Storage
September 19, 2010 6:25:24 AM

If you don't use hibernation, open up a command prompt as Administrator and run the following command:

powercfg -h off

Reboot and you'll magically have a few extra GB, approximately equal to how much RAM you have. The page file is dynamic in size by default, but I'm not sure precisely how Windows determines how much to start off with. You can always fix your page file to a constant size (or set fixed min/max points to give Windows limited control), but this can cause you to run out of virtual memory in rare cases, or quite often if you haven't got much RAM.
a b G Storage
September 20, 2010 12:38:54 AM

To make the hidden system files visible in Windows Explorer:

• Open Windows Explorer.
  • Select the drive on which Windows 7 is installed
  • On the menu bar click on Tools --> Folder options...
  • Click on the View tab page
  • In the Advanced settings: scroll list uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box
  • Click on the Yes response button in the popup Warning window
  • Click on the Apply command button

You should now be able to see the hyberfil.sys and pagefile.sys files and look at their properties.

The paging file size can be changed but its default Currently allocated size is usually the same, or very close, as the amount of RAM you have installed.
  • To change the page file size open the Control Panel --> System --> Advanced system settings --> Advanced tab page --> Performance group box, click on Settings... button
  • In Performance Options window click on Advanced tab page
  • In the Virtual memory group box click on the Change... button
  • Uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives
  • In the Paging file size for each drive group box select the drive where your WIndows 7 installation resides
  • To change the page file size on the selected drive click on the Custom size: radio button and enter the Initial size (MB): and Maximum size (MB): values that you want to use and then click on the Set button. Choosing the No paging file option is not recommended because it can cause some unwanted operational and performance problems.
    !