Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can a previously stable overclock become unstable?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 1, 2010 2:21:31 AM

Hi, I recently overclocked my 1090T (6-core, stock = 3.2 ghz) to 4.0GHz. It was my first overclock ever, but I was fairly thorough with testing. I ran Prime95 for over two hours on it, and my temps were in control.

About 3 weeks later, playing Mass Effect 2 (which only effectively uses 4 of the cores, and doesn't fully load them), my computer reset. At first, I hoped it was a fluke, so I tried it again, and it reset again. I had been playing this game in the time between this, so it appeared to come out of nowhere. I turned the clock multiplier down to 3.8 GHz, and it hasn't done it since.

What happened? How did it "become" unstable when it was previously stable? Did I just not test it enough? I felt like my Prime95 test was significantly more intense than playing this game. Is this something I should be concerned about, and can I know if it won't happen again now at 3.8 after a few more weeks?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you guys can share!
October 1, 2010 3:59:19 AM

Some people run Prime 95 for at least 8 hours, claiming it gives the room time to heat up; what I did was run the high fft setting and blend setting for 8h+ each, the blend setting helps to see if there are any issues with overclocking your ram, while the high fft setting is for mostly cpu to generate the most heat.
Seeing as how your crashing stopped when you dialed it back a bit, it wasn't 100.00% stable.
If you plan on running it 24/7 at that speed (Or just whenever you have it on) and want to make sure its stable, try running the prime 95 for 24h straight, giving it time for any instabilities to come out into the open.

Edit: Be sure to monitor your max temperatures and make sure you aren't getting too high, and keep in mind, if you don't have adequate air flow in your case, your gpu will also increase the ambient temperature inside your case, which will affect the cooling ability of everything in there. (Just mentioning it)

Hope this helps.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 286 K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 1:41:40 PM

Hi.

Yeah that could happen and usually happen when u update the BIOS version of the mobo. So if u don't need update the BIOS and u have a stable OC don't change anything.
m
l
Related resources
October 1, 2010 7:59:28 PM

It definitely wasn't overheating, I was watching the temps when it happened and it didn't even hit 55C. I have good air cooling for both my CPU (hyper 212+) and GPU (5870 vapor-x), and the case (haf 922). I haven't overclocked my RAM at all, I only used the CPU multiplier.

I updated my BIOS, but that was a little while before this happened... Could it be related? Would a BIOS update have a little different stability for a given overclock?

In any case, I'm happy with the 3.8 GHz, I just wanted to know if this was something that could happen again even if I don't change anything again.
m
l

Best solution

a c 159 à CPUs
a c 286 K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 8:17:44 PM

Some people are reported problems with BIOS updates and previous stable OC, I can't tell u that is the problem but could have something to do.
October 3, 2010 10:27:01 PM

I am guessing this was the problem. I don't remember the exact date I updated it, but it was definitely between my initial testing and my noticing of instability. I know I had been gaming for longer sessions than the ones where it reset, but I guess something else happened when it occurred. In any case, its stable now at 3.8, so I'm happy.

Thanks both of you for all the help!
m
l
October 3, 2010 11:49:00 PM

Best answer selected by elivance.
m
l
!