Adding 4GB of ram, need some help

guarrasi24

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Hey all, I currently have 2x 2gb(4gb) ocz fatality ddr2 1066mhz, which I purchased on sale from tigerdirect. However tigerdirect no longer carries this exact ram, so what other ram can I buy that would be compatible? Does the speed of the ram just have to be the same? or is there other specs that have to match my current ram for it to work?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
search some other online retailers

must be same voltage ideally you would match speed and timings as well, because if you don't all ram will run at the lowest common setting

You don't know that. Remember when Bill Gates famously said that he didn't know why anyone would need more than 640K of memory?

Or maybe you don't remember. :) It was back in the early '80's when the original IBM PC had a maximum of 640K user memory.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Don't be silly - stick with the 4gb you have now and just upgrade your kit when you actually need to go to 6 or 8 (or beyond). It's never a good idea to mix ram sticks even if the specs on paper match. You're basically just rolling the dice on stability and you will not gain any real benefit at all! Oh and stevensl2...hard work, apparently, really does pay off....wow ;)

TRENDING THREADS